Overpeck Township--The territory embraced in Overpeck township was originally included in the township of Old Hackensack, and so remained until 1871, when it became a part of Ridgefield township, which was formed that year from the southern part of Old Hackensack township.
Ridgefield Park, which is practically the whole of Overpeck township, was a small village in 1871, its population being only seventy-seven. It was strictly a farming district, with residences few and far between. In a few years, however, the place began to develop a little, some of the farm land being cut up into lots for building purposes, a large summer hotel was erected and accommodated many boarders (the building as afterward destroyed by fire), and there were other signs of new life and enterprise abroad in the village. The influx of new citizens created a spirit of progressiveness and the town went booming along until the population had increased to about 3,000 in 1898.
Westervelt, Frances Augusta Johnson, History of Bergen County, New Jersey, 1630-1923
New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Co., 1923, 1229 pgs., Chapter XXIX, pg. 305-306.