Boiling Spring Township--By act of the State Legislature on April 17, 1889, that portion of the old township of Union known as East Rutherford was incorporated under the name of Boiling Spring township. The township took its name from a powerful and never-failing spring of pure cold water which flowed in the crossroad near the northern boundary. The spring also gave a name to the railroad station and furnished an abundant supply of water for railroad purposes.
The first election for township officers in the new township was held May 1, 1889, and the regular township officials were chosen, and appropriations voted for roads, township and poor purposes. Luther M. Axford was the first township clerk, but in March, 1891, he was succeeded by William H. Taylor, who afterward became clerk of the borough of East Rutherford, and also clerk of the Board of Freeholders, holding the latter position at the time of his death.
On May 23, 1893, the final meeting of the Township Committee of Boiling Spring township was held, for the purpose of closing up the township business and for making transfer of all properties to the borough officers of East Rutherford borough, which supplanted the township. There was no change in the territory or boundary; simply a change in the form of government and the name of the municipality. While the township died, the famous spring still lives and the water flows the same as before.
The late William McKenzie, who established the Standard Bleachery at Carlton Hill, was chairman of the Township Committee when the movement was started which resulted in the changing of Boiling Spring township into East Rutherford borough. The success of the movement was largely due to him, and he became the first mayor of the borough. At the outset, however, he was confronted by a startling incident, the local election board having erroneously counted him out in favor of another man. An appeal to Judge Dixon led to a recount, and Mr. McKenzie was seated. In 1897 he was elected for the third time, and without opposition.
Westervelt, Frances Augusta Johnson,History of Bergen County, New Jersey, 1630-1923
New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Co., 1923, 1229 pgs., Chapter XXIX, pg. 302-303.