HON. WILLIAM D. SNOW.
Hon. William D. Snow, son of Josiah Snow, founder of the Detroit Tribune, was born in Massachusetts February 2d, 1832. He was educated at Romeo, Michigan, afterwards studying law at Dixon, Illinois, under the late Attorney General Edson, of that state. For several years he was associate editor of the Tribune. He was a strong advocate of anti-slavery doctrine, and was a frequent contributor to the magazines and journals of that day, and also a hymn writer of some note.
Mr. Snow settled at Pine Bluff, Arkansas, in 1860, and afterwards represented Jefferson county in the Constitutional Convention of Arkansas. The convention resulted in the establishment of a Free State Constitution, the first in any seceding state.
Mr. Snow was elected in 1865 for the long term to the United States Senate from Arkansas. At the close of his term he declined a re-election, coming to New York city for the purpose of studying law. In 1871, however, Mr. Snow went to Paris, where he spent two years in the study of civil law. In 1875 he was admitted to the New York Bar, receiving, the same year, the degree of L.L. B. from Columbia College. In 1882 he became secretary and counsel to one of the New York Trust companies, but resigned in 1888 to take up general practice. He acted as volunteer Aide to General Powell Clayton and Major General Steele during the Civil War, and was instrumental in the enlistment and organization of three regiments in the state of Arkansas. Governor Murphy afterward tendered him an appointment as Brigadier General of Volunteers. This he declined.
Mr. Snow is of retiring and studious habits, and in religion a Unitarian, president of the Unitarian Congregational Society of Hackensack. He belongs to the Lawyers' Club, the Bullion Club of New York and the Oritani of Hackensack.
Several of his inventions have proved successful, his Thermostat being regarded as the most reliable and sensitive of its class.
Mr. Snow is now a member of the bar in three states, having been admitted to the New Jersey Bar in 1894. After residing in the northern part of Bergen county for more than twenty years, while practicing in New York city, he gave up his city practice in 1896 and removed to Hackensack, where he hopes to spend the remainder of his life among his New Jersey friends.
James Van Valen, History of Bergen County, New Jersey, 1900.