Home‎ > ‎Biographies‎ > ‎

Knapp, Manning M.

MANNING M. KNAPP.

Manning M. Knapp is a native of Newton, Sussex County, N. J., and was born June 7th, 1825. He studied law in the office and under the direction of the late Colonel Robert Hamilton, being admitted to practice as attorney in 1846, when he began practice in Hackensack, and was made a counsellor in 1850. The late Chancellor Zabriskie. at that time Prosecutor of the Pleas for Bergen county, resigned his office in 1850, because of his removal to Jersey City. Chief Justice Green, then presiding at the Bergen Circuit, appointed Mr. Knapp to prosecute for the State until the office should be filled under the constitution. Governor Fort appointed him in February, 1851, for a full term and by following appointments he held the office until 1861. During these years, he was building up a profitable practice in the county and state, taking high rank in his profession. In 1875, when Judge Bedle was elected Governor, he appointed Mr. Knapp his successor on the bench of the Supreme Court, his Judicial District covering the counties of Hudson, Bergen and Passaic. Hudson being made a district alone, Judge Knapp was assigned to this new field where he continued until his death which occurred on January 26, 1892. The Bar of the State in suitable resolutions expressed to the Supreme Court, "the universal sorrow felt at the pathetic death of Mr. Justice Knapp while in the discharge of his public official duties," and they further desired "to bear witness to his virtues, his learning, and the beauty of his character."

Judge Knapp was married in 1850 to Anna Mattison, a daughter of the late Captain Joseph Mattison of the United States Navy. Mrs. Knapp continued to make her home in Hackensack after the death of her husband, surviving both her children—the daughter, Anna M., wife of Walter V. Clark, of Hackensack, and their son, Joseph M. Knapp, both having died since the death of their father, and she herself, the last of the family, died in 1898.


James Van Valen, History of Bergen County, New Jersey, 1900

Comments