The list of Standards and Performance Indicators is as follows:
Literacy: Performance Assessments (MLR A.1-3)
C. Scales & Pitch:
F. Sight Reading: G. Notation & Listening:
H. Listening & Describing:
Technique & Creation (MLR B.1-2)
I. Posture & Technique:
Displays proper playing posture and technique, and maintains instrument correctly
J. Interpretation & Musicality:
- Back straight, no slouching ever
- Proper breathing from diaphragm
- Feet flat on the floor in front of you
- Emboucher and instrument held correctly
- Able to clean and maintain instrument, knowing all slides and how to adjust cork and mouthpiece for tuning
Plays with attention to musical expression and emotion appropriate to genre or style.
- Attention to dynamics and articulations (staccato, Marcato, Legato, slurs, pp-ff, sfz, and fp).
- Attention to emotional expression through tone, dynamics, phrasing, articulations, and overall performance intent and creative interpretation.
- Interprets correct breathing
- Interprets rhythms and articulations based on genre (i.e. swing ⅛ notes in Jazz piece)
K. Tempo: Maintains steady beat with the conductor & ensemble members.
- Able to play piece in tempo with slight adjustments if needed
- Able to play a part with a metronome or steady beat
L. Composition & Arranging
: Compose and/or arrange a short piece and listen to and analyze their own and others pieces.
- Able to describe intention and compositional elements including: Form, creative intention, compositional choices.
- Able to understand some theoretical components of putting together a piece, including: transposition, melody, harmony, and accompaniment patterns.
Creative Process/ Aesthetics/ Connections (MLR C-E)
M. Creativity: Students can approach a problem in performance based activity or creative project to illustrate divergent thinking.
N. Musical Intent:
- In project based assignment or composition.
- In practice techniques and skill based assignments.
- In research related assignment
Explain the meaning of a piece of music through opinion, and analysis of musical intent of an artist.
O. Creative Process:
- Finding connections between music and emotion
- Using relevant terminology when need to make connections
- Analyzing and interpreting lyrics
- Researching artist interviews and opinions on the music
Explain some of the deeper dimensions of music and art, and the creative process through research and perceptive listening and describing.
- Using language to attempt to describe emotions and deeper feelings within music
- Using opinions and quotes to help support and describe these deeper dimensions
- Finding connections between the music and society and culture of the artist
P. Goal Setting:
Illustrate self motivation in learning a piece of music that exemplifies technical and musical progress daily.
- Actively engaged in the learning daily and working on practice techniques
Q. Research: Find reliable and relevant sources to explore a subject of interest and express and support opinions and facts. (Common Core- Anchor Standards- Language Arts)
- Completing a Bibliography in MLA format to correctly give credit to their sources.
- Using a variety of sources to illustrate effort to find reliable information and opinions.
- Using in-text citation of direct quotes to support or pose an opinion