Adapted from Joy of Cooking (recipe for Bourbon Balls)
Yield: 30 1-inch balls
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp unsweeted cocoa powder
1/8 cup amaretto
1 tbsp light corn syrup
1 1/4 cup vanilla wafer crumbs
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup icing sugar
- Sift the 1/2 cup icing sugar and cocoa powder together in a medium bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the amaretto and corn syrup.
- Stir the amaretto mixture into the cocoa mixture. Set aside.
- Combine the vanilla wafer crumbs (crushed in a food processor) and almonds, and stir into cocoa mixture.
- Roll the mixture into balls between palms.
- Roll the balls in the 1/4 cup of icing sugar.
- Store between layers of wax or parchment paper in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.