Landmark Canton Hotel - Best Deals For Hotels In New York - The Park Shore Hotel
Landmark Canton Hotel
- The boundary of an area of land, or an object marking this
- a mark showing the boundary of a piece of land
- the position of a prominent or well-known object in a particular landscape; "the church steeple provided a convenient landmark"
- an event marking a unique or important historical change of course or one on which important developments depend; "the agreement was a watershed in the history of both nations"
- An event, discovery, or change marking an important stage or turning point in something
- An object or feature of a landscape or town that is easily seen and recognized from a distance, esp. one that enables someone to establish their location
- a small administrative division of a country
- A subdivision of a country established for political or administrative purposes
- quarter: provide housing for (military personnel)
- A state of the Swiss Confederation
- A square charge smaller than a quarter and positioned in the upper (usually dexter) corner of a shield
- Guangzhou: a city on the Zhu Jiang delta in southern China; the capital of Guangdong province and a major deep-water port
- A code word representing the letter H, used in radio communication
- A hotel is an establishment that provides paid lodging on a short-term basis. The provision of basic accommodation, in times past, consisting only of a room with a bed, a cupboard, a small table and a washstand has largely been replaced by rooms with modern facilities, including en-suite
- In French contexts an hotel particulier is an urban "private house" of a grand sort. Whereas an ordinary maison was built as part of a row, sharing party walls with the houses on either side and directly fronting on a street, an hotel particulier was often free-standing, and by the eighteenth
- An establishment providing accommodations, meals, and other services for travelers and tourists
- a building where travelers can pay for lodging and meals and other services
landmark canton hotel - Landmark: The
Landmark: The Inside Story of America's New Health Care Law and What It Means for Us All (Publicaffairs Reports)
The Washington Post’s must-read guide to the health care overhaul
What now? Despite the rancorous, divisive, year-long debate in Washington, many Americans still don’t understand what the historic overhaul of the health care system will—or won’t—mean. In Landmark, the national reporting staff of The Washington Post pierces through the confusion, examining the new law’s likely impact on us all: our families, doctors, hospitals, health care providers, insurers, and other parts of a health care system that has grown to occupy one-sixth of the U.S. economy.
Landmark’s behind-the-scenes narrative reveals how just how close the law came to defeat, as well as the compromises and deals that President Obama and his Democratic majority in Congress made in achieving what has eluded their predecessors for the past seventy-five years: A legislative package that expands and transforms American health care coverage.
Landmark is an invaluable resource for anyone eager to understand the changes coming our way.
Soldiers and Sailors Monument
Upper West Side, Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States Prominently situated on Riverside Drive at 89th Street, the Soldiers and Sailors Monument was erected in memory of the New York regiments that fought in the Civil War. Designed by Charles W. & Arthur A. Stoughton and Paul E. M. Duboy, the monument was built in 1900-02 after a long series of delays which involved funding, siting, and design changes. Although the state legislature authorized the erection of a soldiers and sailors monument under the direction of the Commissioners of Central Park in 1869, no action was undertaken until 1893. In that year the Board of Commissioners of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument was formed and authorized to expend $250,000. The Board consisted of the Mayor, the Comptroller, the Recorder, the President of the Department of Parks, the Commissioner of Public Works, and the Chairman of the Grand Army of the Republic in New York. The Plaza, now Grand Army Plaza, at Fifth Avenue and 59th Street was chosen as the site despite public opposition. A competition for the monument was not held until 1897, Seven architecture I firms were invited to submit models anonymously. They were judged by Professors William R. Ware and A. 0. F. Hamlin of Columbia University and architectural critic Russell Sturgis. The model submitted by Stoughton & Stoughton with sculpture by Frederick MacMonnles was awarded first prize. It consisted of a tall column surmounted by an angel of peace and adorned with sculptural groups. A balustraded terrace enclosed the composition. Opposition to the Plaza site by the newly established Municipal Art Commission—which had to approve any public work of art—led to a new location in Riverside Park, first at the northern end of the park and then at Mount Torn in the park at West 83rd Street. The new location required an entirely new design,. Mount Tom was aiso eventually rejected because several tall apartment buildings had been constructed opposite the site on Riverside Drive, and it was thought that these would block the view of the monument and make it seem Insignificant by comparison. The present site at 89th Street was finally chosen in 1900. The cornerstone was laid on December 15, 1900, with Governor Theodore Roosevelt officiating. Construction was completed In 1902, and the Monument was unveiled on May 30, Decoration (Memorial) Day, following a parade by Civil War veterans up Riverside Drive to the site. Although their original design for the Soldiers and Sailors Monument had to be changed because of the new site on Riverside Drive, Stoughton & Stoughton were, nonetheless, the architects of the structure as built, Paul Emlle Marie Duboy (1657-1907), a French architect who Is best known for his work on the Ansonia Hotel, collaborated with them. Charles W. Stoughton (1860-1945) received a degree in civil engineering from Columbia University; Arthur A. Stoughton (1867-1955) studied at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris, The brothers formed the firm of Stoughton & Stoughton in 1894. Among the works of this respected firm are the 52nd Police Precinct Station House in the Bronx, a designated New York City Landmark, a bathing pavilion in Jacob Riis Park, the 3ronx River Parkway, a group of buildings at Canton Christian College, China,and the Polytechnic Institute in Puerto Rico. Both were active members of the Municipal Art Society. The Soldiers and Sailors Monument is a simple and dignified white marble structure, based on the Hellenistic Monument of Lysicrates in Athens, although built at a much larger scale* It has been sited on axis with Riverside Drive to the south so that approaching northward, the visitor has a clear, unobstructed view of the monument. Set off above a series of balustraded terraces, it rises to a height of about 100 feet. The circular marble edifice is set on a granite platform incorporating a seat, A colonnade consisting of twelve Corinthian columns, 36 feet high, rises above a high rusticated marble base. The lowest course of rustication is adorned with a handsome wave molding incorporating laurel and oak leaves, while a cornice with closely spaced modiIIions surmounts the base. A single entrance set in the base has a marble enframement adorned by a laurel-leaf molding and crowned by a cornice supporting an eagle. The inscription "In Memorlam" appears above this doorway which contains a handsome bronze door. Behind the great circular colonnade is a rusticated marble wall containing a single opening high on the south side. The wall has a Greek fret molding at the top. The colonnade carries an entablature adorned with a full frieze containing the inscriptions "To the memory of the Brave Soldiers and Sailors Who Saved the Union," A cresting of eagles alternating with cartouches surmounts the cornice. The monument terminates in a low conical roof crowned by a richly decorated marble finial. On the north side of the monum
South Street Seaport Historic District, Downtown Manhattan, New York City, New York The East River waterfront of lower Manhattan, which includes the site of today's South Street Seaport Historic District, played an Important part In the early history of New York City and became, over a period of two hundred years, one of the most prosperous commercial districts in the City. This development of -the South Street Seaport area from a small cluster of wharves in the 18th century to an Important part of the leading port of the nation in the mid-19th century reflects the rise of New York City as an International! center of commerce. As early as 1625 when the Dutch West India Company established a trading post at the foot of Manhattan Island, the area south of today's seaport served as a landing site for Incoming boats. The Dutch constructed a small floating dock which extended Into the East River from what Is now Broad Street. As lower Manhattan, then Mew Amsterdam, became more populous, a few streets were cut through the surrounding countryside. One of the first was Queen Street (now Pearl Street), !a!d out In 1633. which rapidly became the core of the mercantile community of 17th century Manhattan. Queen Street ran along the waterfront until the latter half of the 18th century when landfill extended the eastern boundary of Manhattan out to Mater and later to Front Street. Still later, in the early 19th century, South Street was created on additional landfill. This southeastern shore of Manhattan was quickly recognized as the natural site for the city's harbor. It was safer to land here than to attempt the more treacherous western shore, where a ledge of rocks proved hazardous. In addition, since the East River was narrower than the Hudson It provided much-needed shelter for the small early vessels. Early In the development of Manhattan the shipping trade, centered around the East River harbor, supplied the city with an important source of revenue. The Schermerhorn family, which was to play such an Important part In the development of South Street Seaport, established a regular shipping service from Mew York to Charleston In 1728. The port also enjoyed prosperous trade with England at this time, as local merchants sent their goods across the Atlantic In their own ships. Nonetheless, on the eve of the Revolution, Mew York's trade lagged behind that of Boston, Philadelphia and Charleston, due primarily to the poor condition of her wharves, which were dismal and badly maintained. Throughout the 18th century, these seaboard cities competed with one another for leadership In the shipping trade, and It was not until many years after the Revolution that New York could claim her superiority. After the British won the Battle of Long Island In 1776, they occupied the port of New York for eight years. During this period the city became the center of British authority In America, thereby cutting off much of the domestic trade of the harbor. When the British finally evacuated In 1783 the port suffered a difficult time, since many of the Tory merchants naturally moved to England, consequently disrupting several commercial enterprises. In addition, the cutting of ties with England severely limited New York's sphere of trade and It soon became necessary to seek new markets. One such endeavor was that of the Empress of China, whose pioneer voyage to Canton In 1784 opened a new world to New York merchants. in the next decade, the New York port gradually recovered from the effects of the Revolution, fortunately, the British, upon resuming trade, selected Mew York as the most advantageously located U.S. port to which to export their goods. By 1797 New York had surpassed both Boston and Philadelphia In Import and export trade. It was to maintain this position of supremacy for at least the next 50 years, with the brief exception of the War of 1812 (1812-1815). The most significant Impetus to the rise of the New York port as a leading commercial center was the founding of the Black Ball packet line In 1818. These square-rigged liners sailed from South Street just below Peck Slip and were the first vessels to establish regular service between New York and Liverpool. The first group of ships sent to Liverpool Included the Amity. Courier, Pacific and James Monroe. These crossings could require as many as twenty-three days or more. The great success of the Black Ball Line soon led to competitive Imitators such as the Red Star Line and also to additional lines sailing to Le Havre and to London. In the 1840s these packet ships were replaced by the far-speedier clipper ships. The frequency and regularity of these transatlantic voyages were Instrumental in establishing New York's primacy in world trade. Another major boost to the prosperity of the port of New York came with the completion of the Erie Canal In 1825. This waterway, extending from Lake Erie to the Hudson, enabled goods and produce to be easily transported to the thriving
landmark canton hotel
The Landmark Arrian is an important new edition of The Campaigns of Alexander, the most authoritative ancient account of one of the world’s most brilliant military leaders.
During twelve years of continuous campaigns, Alexander conquered an empire that stretched from the shores of the Adriatic to the edge of modern India. Arrian’s history of those conquests, the most reliable and detailed account to emerge from the ancient world, is a work that will fascinate readers interested in classical studies, the history of warfare, and the origins of East-West tensions that still simmer today in Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan. Drawing on Ptolemy’s memoirs and other sources that have not survived antiquity, Arrian’s portrait of Alexander is unmatched for its accuracy and immediacy. Having served as a high Roman official with command of an army, Arrian had a unique perspective on Alexander, imbued with a level of understanding that only firsthand military experience can provide.
In the richly illustrated and annotated style of the Landmark series, The Campaigns of Alexander, which features an engaging and eloquent new translation by Pamela Mensch, brings together some of the preeminent classics scholars at work today to create what is certain to be the definitive edition of this essential work of history.