Hart House Hotel London : Jfk Hotel Airport.
Hart House Hotel London
- Hart House, also known as Hart Residence, is a historic home located at Burlingham in Sullivan County, New York. It was built in 1825 and is a narrow, rectangular, one and one half story wood frame building with clapboard siding on a slightly raised stone foundation.
- Hart House is a historic house at 172 Chestnut Street in Lynnfield, Massachusetts.
- The Hart House is located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, in the Patterson Heights neighbourhood. Once owned by Stu Hart, it was home to his extensive family made world famous for their accomplishments in professional wrestling.
- The capital of the United Kingdom, in southeastern England on the Thames River; pop. 6,377,000. London, called Londinium, was settled as a river port and trading center shortly after the Roman invasion of ad 43 and has been a flourishing center since the Middle Ages.It is divided administratively into the City of London, which is the country's financial center, and 32 boroughs
- London is the capital of England and the United Kingdom. It is the largest metropolitan area in the United Kingdom and the largest urban zone in the European Union by most measures.
- the capital and largest city of England; located on the Thames in southeastern England; financial and industrial and cultural center
- An industrial city in southeastern Ontario, Canada, north of Lake Erie; pop. 303,165
- United States writer of novels based on experiences in the Klondike gold rush (1876-1916)
- In French contexts an hotel particulier is an urban "private house" of a grand sort. Whereas an ordinary maison was built as part of a row, sharing party walls with the houses on either side and directly fronting on a street, an hotel particulier was often free-standing, and by the eighteenth
- a building where travelers can pay for lodging and meals and other services
- A code word representing the letter H, used in radio communication
- A hotel is an establishment that provides paid lodging on a short-term basis. The provision of basic accommodation, in times past, consisting only of a room with a bed, a cupboard, a small table and a washstand has largely been replaced by rooms with modern facilities, including en-suite
- An establishment providing accommodations, meals, and other services for travelers and tourists
hart house hotel london - Christmas at
Christmas at Historic Houses
History is brought to life in many historic houses, especially at Christmas time, when special decorations help to welcome the social season and visiting guests. Learn history and local customs through this charming book's lively text and over 400 color photos. Costumed guides interpret Christmas traditions in some of the thirty, specially decorated houses that are featured, from across America. Both magnificent estates and simple residences offer a variety of styles, tastes, and ideas to inspire your own celebrations. See preserved buildings with illuminated gardens, inviting dining halls and stunning interiors. Enjoy the many efforts on display here that help to make the Christmas season a magical time of sharing, caring, and gratitude.
The Rummer Inn Bristol BS1
All Saints’ Lane is a narrow passage leading from Corn Street to the heart of Bristol’s Flower Market, and it is here that you will find the Rummer. The present inn has been known as the Rummer for over two hundred years but its history goes back much further than that. It is built on a portion of the site occupied as early as 1241 by an inn, then called the Greene Lattis, which gives it Bristol’s No. 1 Licence. Many old inns have had a change of name in their long history but the Rummer must surely hold the record. The Green Lattis was so named because of the prominent use of the colour on lattices, windows and door posts of the inn. Undoubtedly the inn is one of the oldest hostelries in Bristol and one of the three principal Coaching Establishments, the two others being The Bush in Corn Street - long since demolished, and immortalized by Dickens - and the White Hart in Broad Street now replaced by the Grand Hotel. The inn faced the High Street and extended backwards to the present All Saints’ Lane which was then known as Venney’s Lane, and it had a large inn-yard and stables at this point. The inn was given to the Church of All Saints in 1241 by its owner Alice Hayle, in the hope that prayers would be said for the repose of her soul. We know that these early premises were rebuilt in 1440 when the vicar and churchwardens borrowed ?100 for that purpose. In that century, one Thomas Abyndon, a churchwarden, occupied the house as its innkeeper and the inn became known as the Abyndon. By the sixteenth century it was variously referred to as the Green Lattis and the Abyndon, and one deed of 1647 even refers to it as the 'Green Lettice, in the occupation of the Sheriff, Francis Gleed.' The confusion of names was perpetuated when in 1565 the Jonas Inn was rebuilt and the Green Lattis incorporated in it; the newly built inn was called simply the New Inn, alias Jonas, alias Green Lattis.' It was the building of the new Exchange in 1743 which finally fixed the old inn’s name and also gave it its present structure. The merchants of Bristol had long discussed the need for a suitable prestigious meeting place as a centre of activity for the commercial world. The site in Corn Street was chosen but there were a number of old properties to be bought up before the Exchange could be built. In 1740 a conveyance was made between the owner Mrs Earle and the Corporation stating that, 'as the building an exchange was highly necessary and that the opening of convenient passages to such Exchange by making a new street or streets.. it would be necessary to purchase several houses, lands, tenements.' One of these new streets to be opened up was All Saints’ Lane which had been the courtyard to the Rummer Tavern but now would be a thoroughfare to it and the market which was also to be built at this time. John Wood, the designer of the Exchange, continued this new approach to the Rummer as part of his Exchange scheme and at the same time set back and rebuilt the inn giving it an entrance into the Lane as well as retaining the one in High Street. The oldest parts of the Rummer are the old cellars which were under the medieval hostelry on this site but the rest of the house is of late eighteenth and early nineteenth century with an entirely suitable panelled door and doorway with a pediment on brackets. Ex-Landlord Mr Thomas describes the wells used by slaves who were kept down in the cellar, and tells of the strange find of an underground kitchen, fitted out with an old cauldron. The cellars run from here under Corn Street, forming part of the maze of tunnels beneathg old Bristol. it must be remembered that the main entrance to the inn was in the High Street and it was used until 1920 when it was converted into a shop. It was to this main entrance that the eighteenth century coaching trade came. It was in 1784 that one John Palmer of Bath signed a contract with the Postmaster General for the carriage of mail by coaches. The first road on which this experiment was tried was between London and Bristol and on a memorable day, Augnst 8th 1784, the first coach arrived at the Rummer Tavern at eleven o’clock at night after the first fifteen hour journey from London. The Rummer was now in business as Bristol’s first coaching inn. The coach office was the High Street entrance where tickets could be bought. Matthews 1793 Directory states, 'London, a mail coach every day at 4 o’clock in the afternoon, also a balloon coach every afternoon at 12 o’clock; one to Birmingham every evening at 7 o’clock and to Bath one at 8 a.m. and another at 4 p.m.' You can well imagine the intense activity at the Rummer with the comings and goings of all these coaches and their passengers. There is an interesting receipt from 1812 signed by the landlady Sarah Poston acknowledging that one W. Harris had ordered. 3 bowls punch ?1.11s.6d biscuits 6d dinners 10s.6d beer 12s. fruit 3s. sugar 6d rooms 10s.6d waiters 5s. We can only hope that Mr Harris a
Actor and singer known for her role as the Sinatra-chasing taxi driver Brunhilde Esterhazy in On the Town The most famous role played by the all-round entertainer Betty Garrett, who has died aged 91, was Brunhilde Esterhazy, the taxi driver in Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly's musical On the Town (1949). In the film, she introduces herself to a shy sailor played by Frank Sinatra and asks him: "Why don't you come up to my place?" She is soon vigorously chasing him around her cab, rejecting any of his suggestions about what to see in New York with the rapid retort: "My place!" In Take Me Out to the Ball Game (1949), Garrett had pursued Sinatra with equal zeal, assuring him by singing It's Fate, Baby, It's Fate. She also panted after Red Skelton in Neptune's Daughter (1949), begging him not to leave her apartment with the song Baby, It's Cold Outside. This was a gender role-reversal, contrasting with Esther Williams resisting Ricardo Montalban's pleas in the same number in that film. Garrett played these man-hungry characters with a great deal of zest, humour and self-mockery, as well as proving herself an excellent singer of witty ditties and no mean dancer. As Sinatra sings to her in On the Town, she was "awful ... awful good". However, she never had the show-business career she deserved. Primarily, Garrett was not a beauty along the lines of Esther Williams, Vera-Ellen or Janet Leigh, three of the stars she worked with in her meagre filmography, but she also suffered from the way she supported her husband, Larry Parks, whom she married in 1944, through difficult times. In the early 1950s, Parks, who impersonated Al Jolson in The Jolson Story (1946), one of Columbia's biggest hits, appeared before the House Un-American Activities Committee, declared his past membership of the Communist party and refused to name names. As a result, Columbia dropped Parks from their roster, and other studios shunned him. Garrett, who was also a member of the Communist party in the 1940s, had taken time off to bring up their two sons. She did not return to the screen until several years later– ironically, for Columbia – in My Sister Eileen (1955). Garrett was born in St Joseph, Missouri. Her father was an alcoholic travelling salesman, who died when she was young. She won a scholarship to the Neighborhood Playhouse in New York, and made her stage debut in 1938 in crowd scenes in Orson Welles's Mercury theatre production of Danton's Death by Georg Buchner. She then became a dancer with the Martha Graham company and sang in nightclubs and resort hotels. Between stage work, she had jobs as a shop assistant and an elevator operator. After appearing in the Broadway revue Let Freedom Sing (1942), which lasted for eight performances, Garrett's big break came in 1943 in Cole Porter's Something for the Boys, starring Ethel Merman. But it was her singing and her personality, shown across seven roles, in the revue Call Me Mister (1946), which won her an MGM contract. Her screen debut was in Big City (1948) as a saloon singer whom an Irish cop (George Murphy) wants to marry in order to supply an orphan (Margaret O'Brien) with a mother. Garrett added a little spice to the sugary concoction, and sang Ok'l Baby Dok'l. She was then badly miscast in Words and Music (1948), the fanciful biopic of Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart. Mickey Rooney played Hart, who is smitten with Garrett's character, but she feels she can never love him because he is too short. (Actually, the real Hart was gay.) At least she got to sing There's a Small Hotel rather touchingly. It was in her three musicals in 1949 – Take Me Out to the Ball Game, Neptune's Daughter and On the Town – that Garrett really came into her own. The following year, she and Parks appeared at the London Palladium in a programme of songs, before the unofficial blacklist struck. Garrett's return to the screen in My Sister Eileen revealed her versatility. She played the vivacious, literary-minded sister of Leigh and belted out some good songs. After the minor thriller The Shadow On the Window (1957), in which she played a mother kidnapped by three delinquents, she gave up the cinema to do theatre, often with her husband until his death in 1975. As vibrant as ever, Garrett also appeared in two successful TV series, All in the Family (1973-75) and Laverne & Shirley (1976-81). In the former, based on the British series Till Death Us Do Part, Garrett was the bigoted Archie Bunker's liberal neighbour, Irene. In the latter, she played Edna, the eponymous single girls' tolerant landlady. There followed a number of TV guest spots, the last of which was in Grey's Anatomy (2006). Garrett returned to the big screen after 50 years in two lampoons written and directed by Larry Blamire: Trail of the Screaming Forehead (2007), a takeoff of 1950s sci-fi movies, and Dark and Stormy Night (2009), in which Garrett co-starred with a man in gorilla suit. Appearing in both films
hart house hotel london
Now a major motion picture starring George Clooney and directed by Alexander Payne
Fortunes have changed for the King family, descendants of Hawaiian royalty and one of the state’s largest landowners. Matthew King’s daughters—Scottie, a feisty ten-year-old, and Alex, a seventeen-year-old recovering drug addict—are out of control, and their charismatic, thrill-seeking mother, Joanie, lies in a coma after a boat-racing accident. She will soon be taken off life support. As Matt gathers his wife’s friends and family to say their final goodbyes, a difficult situation is made worse by the sudden discovery that there’s one person who hasn’t been told: the man with whom Joanie had been having an affair. Forced to examine what they owe not only to the living but to the dead, Matt, Scottie, and Alex take to the road to find Joanie’s lover, on a memorable journey that leads to unforeseen humor, growth, and profound revelations.
Look for special features inside.
Join the Circle for author chats and more.