“The action of preventing material that a party considers objectionable from circulating within a system of communication over which that party has no power.” (Microsoft Press Computer Dictionary)NARROW THE TOPIC
- What is the Communications Decency Act of 1996?
- What is the Telecommunications Act of 1996?
- Discuss the Children's Internet Protection Act and its effect on libraries.
- Should businesses be allowed to monitor an employee's use of the Internet?
- How successful are software filters (Surfwatch Software, etc)?
- Should encryption of data and internet phone conversations be permitted?
- How have terrorists, cults, and child molesters used the Internet?
- How big a problem is the use of the Internet in the distribution of pornography?
- How should schools, public universities, and libraries handle censorship of the Internet?
ONLINE CATALOG SUBJECT HEADINGS:
- Offline censorship
- Technical Censorship
SELECTED PRINT RESOURCES (REF indicates non-circulating reference):
The decency wars : the campaign to cleanse American culture / Frederick S. Lane.
by Lane, Frederick S., 1963-
Amherst, N.Y. : Prometheus Books, 2006.
Call #: HN59.2 .L37 2006
Location: Main Stacks
SUGGESTED ELECTRONIC INDEXES: click here
Academic Search Premier
Points of View Reference Center
GOOGLE SCHOLAR: Internet Censorship
(search limited to 2000 to 2010)
SUGGESTED INTERNET SITES: