For Homeowners

Are you considering hiring a contractor in the Battle Creek area? Here are four crucial pieces of information that you should look for when hiring a contractor to work on your home.

Ask to see a copy of the contractor's license.  If you are having more than $600 of work done on your home in any of the following categories, then your contractor must have either a Residential Builder License or a Maintenance & Alterations license from the State of Michigan.  Contractors doing work in the following categories without a license are committing a misdemeanor. 
  • carpentry
  • concrete
  • excavation
  • insulation work
  • masonry
  • painting and decorating
  • siding
  • roofing
  • screens and storm sash
  • gutters
  • tile & marble
  • house wrecking
  • swimming pools
  • basement waterproofing
Ask to see a copy of the contractor's business and liability insurance.  If your contractor is not insured, then you may be liable for any injury or property damage that happens as a result of your project.  

Ask for at least three references of past customers for whom the contractor has done work.  Make sure that you can call these people and interview them about the work the contractor did on their home.  

HBA Member
Ask if the contractor is a member of the Home Builders Association.  If you need to check to see if a contractor is a HBA member, you can click here to view a membership directory.