Alleghany Chapter
History
 
     The Alleghany Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR) was organized in Blacksburg, Virginia, on January 28, 1911.  The meeting was held in the home of Organizing Regent, Mrs. Paul Barringer.  There were 22 members present.  By October 12, 1912 when the NSDAR granted their charter, the membership had grown to 32. The organizing members chose "Alleghany" as the name of the Chapter.  They believed this would honor all of their pioneer ancestors who were Patriots during the American Revolutionary War. 

    The Chapter has continued to follow the Mission Statement of the National Society:  "to promote historic preservation, education, and patriotism."  Early in the 20th century, the Chapter placed two monuments commemorating local historic events. One monument, placed by the Chapter in 1916, memorializes a fort that local settlers built for protection during the French and Indian War.  Another monument, placed by the Chapter in 1938, is dedicated to "Colonel James Patton and Pioneers Who Lost Their Lives in the Draper's Meadow Massacre, July 1755".  Over the years, the Chapter has marked the grave sites of several local Revolutionary War Patriots.  Most recently, in 2016, the Chapter placed a DAR plaque on the grave of Revolutionary War Patriot , John Black.  During the 2016-2019 term, the Chapter hopes to mark the grave sites of several other Revolutionary War Patriots.

    To promote education and patriotism, the Chapter conducts many and varied activities.  To name a few, the Chapter provides scholarships and awards to outstanding high school students and exemplary Virginia Tech Cadets.  The Chapter annually sponsors a Constitution Week event to provide an entertaining and informative way for our community to commemorate the 1787 signing of our Nation's Constitution.  Perhaps most significant, each year the Chapter raises funds to furnish substantial improvements at the Veteran's Administration Medical Center in Salem, Virginia.

 

                                    

Home