The celebration of Confirmation for our parish will be in The Star of the Sea Church Brittas Bay in March 2015.
The Sacrament of Confirmation
In him you also, who have heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and have believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, which is the first installment of our inheritance toward redemption as God's possession, to the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1:13-14)
The sacrament of Confirmation seals the recipient with the gift of the Holy Spirit. Along with the sacraments of Baptism and Eucharist, it makes up the sacraments of Christian Initiation. Moreover, according to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, "the reception of the sacrament of Confirmation is necessary for the completion of baptismal grace (CCC 1285).
We would like to thank our parish schools who prepare the children for this sacrament. We celebrate the sacrament of confirmation every year, alternating between Barndarrig and Brittas Bay churches.
The gifts of the Holy Spirit are are wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude (or courage), knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord.
- Wisdom is the gift of knowing the right choices to make to live a holy life. The gift of wisdom helps you to avoid the things that could lead you away from God.
- Understanding is the gift of comprehension, or the ability to grasp the meaning of the teachings of the Church. The gift of understanding helps you be tolerant and sympathetic of others. It helps you sense when someone is hurting or in need of compassion.
- Right Judgment, or Counsel, is the gift of prudence. The gift of right judgment helps you make choices to live as a faithful follower of Jesus.
- Courage, or Fortitude, is the gift that helps you stand up for your faith in Christ. The gift of courage helps you overcome any obstacles that would keep you from practicing your faith.
- Knowledge is the gift of knowing and enlightenment. The gift of knowledge enables you to choose the right path that will lead you to God. It encourages you to avoid obstacles that will keep you from him.
- Reverence or Piety is the gift of confidence in God. This gift of reverence inspires you to joyfully want to serve God and others.
- Wonder and Awe, or Fear of the Lord is the gift of wonder and respect that encourages you to be in awe of God. The gift of wonder and awe moves you to so love God that you do not want to offend him by your words or actions.