adapted from Recipe Girl
1/4 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup water
(I added the zest of the lemon(s) I juiced)
1. Slice cake into ¾” slices and place on wax paper in a single layer.
2. Prepare lemon syrup: In a small saucepan, bring sugar, lemon juice, zest, and water to a boil over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar completely. Let cool, then brush over both sides of each cake slice. Quarter each slice.
2.5 Wash and dry berries well. Hull and half strawberries if using. I kept the strawberries and blackberries separate because I wanted two distinct layers of berries in my trifle. After prepping the berries I placed them into a bowl and tossed them with half of the left over lemon sugar syrup.
3. Beat cream cheese with sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium and slowly add cream. Continue beating until mixture resembles soft whipped cream. (I added the last of the lemon sugar syrup.)
4. Arrange half of the cake pieces in the bottom of a glass serving bowl or dish (2 qt. size is sufficient). Spoon half the cream-cheese mixture over the cake in dollops; spread to the sides of the dish. Scatter berry of your choice on top. Repeat layering with cake, cream cheese, and berries.
5. Cover and refrigerate until chilled (about an hour). You may also refrigerate overnight.
This recipe is very forgiving; play around with it and make it yours. FYI,the lemon sugar syrup and cream cheese/whipped cream filling would be great in other recipes.
As seen on 3B's....Baseball, Baking, & Books