As seen on 3B's....Baseball, Baking, & Books
Adapted from Food Network
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying*
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (about 1 overripe banana)
- 1/4 teaspoon banana extract (optional, but use it if you have it! :)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, optional topping for beignets
- Heat about 2 inches vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375 degrees F. *
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/3 cup granulated sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk the egg, milk, mashed banana and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in another bowl. Add the banana extract, if desired.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the banana mixture into the dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Working in batches, drop rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 15 seconds per side.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towels, and then roll in the cinnamon sugar while still warm. Or place in a brown paper bag, add some of the cinnamon sugar mixture or part of the powdered sugar, and then shake it up.
- Serve and enjoy!
*I used a Fry Daddy to fry my beignets.