Welcome to the support arm of the Barrett’s Oesophagus Campaign.
We are here to:
- provide support and information with an advice service, downloadable leaflets and an online forum;
- raise awareness of the condition and its implications and promote early diagnosis;
- Raise funds for research.
Support and information
Barrett’s Oesophagus Campaign provides many avenues for support and information.
If you are newly diagnosed or would like further advice, you may like to ask your GP to refer you to a gastroenterologist.
For anyone wanting to support the charity in any way, please contact the charity on telephone 020 7794 0500 X23073 or send an email to email@example.com
We host a lively online support forum where you can chat with other sufferers and medical professionals. Please visit www.barrettscampaign.org.uk/forum
We currently have two informative leaflets available online or as hard copies for mailing. Download them free of charge here or email your details to receive them by post:
What is Barrett’s Oesophagus? (Pdf, 972kb)
Treatments for Barrett’s Oesophagus (pdf, 876kb)
Raising awareness and promoting early diagnosis
Too few people, even in the medical profession, are aware of Barrett’s Oesophagus and its potential to lead to cancer of the gullet. We are constantly striving to increase knowledge among healthcare professionals and among the public. The more people who know about the condition the more lives can be saved.
Our message is simple.
- Barrett’s Oesophagus is a major health issue yet its profile is very low.
- It has the potential to lead to oesophageal cancer.
- There is a dramatic increase in oesophageal cancer in the developed world.
- It is now responsible for around five per cent of all cancer deaths, making it the fifth most common cause of cancer death.
- Around 7,600 cases are diagnosed in the UK each year.
- In 2005, 7,419 people died from the disease and the survival rate is one of the lowest of all cancers.
- When Barrett’s is diagnosed early the symptoms can be treated and regular monitoring can help to prevent the condition developing into cancer.
Can you raise awareness or vital funds for our work? Whether it is running a marathon or telling your story to the media, there are many ways to help.