Annual Songwriters' Competition
As part of the Barleycorn’s principal function, namely to promote & present the best local, original SA music, we arrange an annual Songwriters' competition with fantastic prizes.
The 2020 competition will close for entries on 31 August 2020. Finals will be held as soon as we are able to have the event at the venue - so get writing!!
Please read the entry requirements below and email your entry before midnight 31 August 2020.
The rules are:
- Each entry must be entirely original & non-derivative.
- The song must not have been previously performed in public (your dog / Gran / psychiatrist / significant other are not the public) and must not previously have been published on Soundcloud / Youtube / Facebook or similar public domain.
- All official languages are accepted.
- Only two songs may be entered per author / composer.
- There is a fee of R25 per entry (i.e. per song), which can be paid via EFT, Snapscan or Zapper until 31 August 2020. Banking details are Barleycorn Music Club, FNB Rondebosch, Cheque Account 62751391500, Branch Code 255355. Please enter your name as reference when paying via EFT. If you wish to pay via Snapscan or Zapper, QR codes below. If you pay via scan, please indicate exact date and time of payment.
- Entries are to be emailed in MP3 format only together with proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating
Ten entries will advance to the Finals, to be scheduled for as soon as reasonably safe post-Covid19.
The judges will be looking at lyrical content, structure and composition, recognising that a good song is a good song even if not presented optimally.
You’ll be notified in advance to perform your composition ‘live’ at the finals before a panel of judges who are themselves authors / musicians / composers.