Annual Songwriters' Competition
As part of the Barleycorn’s principal function, namely to promote & present the best local, original SA music, we arrange an annual Songwriters' competition with fantastic prizes.
The 2019 competition will close for entries on 5 August 2019. Finals will be held on Monday 19 August 2019 at the club - get writing!!
Please read the entry requirements below and email your entry before midnight 5 August 2019.
The rules are:
- Each entry must be entirely original & non-derivative.
- The song must not have been previously performed in public (your dog / Gran / psychiatrist / significant other are not the public) and must not previously have been published on Soundcloud / Youtube / Facebook or similar public domain.
- All official languages are accepted, as are instrumentals.
- Only two songs may be entered per author / composer.
- There is a fee of R25 per entry (i.e. per song), which can be paid via EFT or in cash at the club on any Monday night until 5 August 2019. Banking details are Barleycorn Music Club, FNB Rondebosch, Cheque Account 62751391500, Branch Code 255355. Please enter your name as reference when paying via EFT.
- Entries are to be emailed in MP3 format together with proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating
- Composer’s name
- Email address
- Cell number
- Daytime landline number
- Song title
Ten entries will advance to the Finals, due to be held on Monday 19 August (dates are subject to change).
The judges will be looking at originality, lyrical and / or melodic content, structure / arrangement and presentation, recognising that a good song is a good song even if not presented optimally. Originality carries the most points.
You’ll be notified in advance to perform your composition ‘live’ on 19 August before a panel of judges who are themselves authors / musicians / composers.