~~ a printable barefoot kitchen witch recipe ~~
- 1 lb (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 lb (about 1 cup plus 2 T) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 lbs (about 6 cups) cake flour
What to do:
1. Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer, scraping down occasionally.
2. Add eggs, one at a time, and combine thoroughly before adding the next.
3. Add the flour and combine until flour it just incorporated.
4. Divide into two portions, press into discs and wrap tightly with plastic. Refrigerate for at least an hour before rolling out.
5. Roll out to 1/8-1/4 inch thick and cut out shapes. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate about 20 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Bake 8-12 minutes, or longer, if necessary, depending on the size and thickness of your cookies. You want them to just start to turn golden at the edges.
8. Cool completely before frosting.
Flavoring and Decorating Suggestions:
1. Flavor with 1-2 tsp vanilla or almond flavoring, etc if desired, or with the zest of a lemon, a lime, or an orange.
2. Before baking, you could brush cookies with egg white and sprinkle with white or colored sugar or other little decorations.
3. You can also roll dough into a log, wrap in parchment, chill for an hour, then roll log in sugar, nuts, etc. Slice, and then bake.
4. They're also nice sandwiched together with some bittersweet or semisweet chocolate.
5. And, of course, you can decorate them with royal icing in a range of colors limited only by your imagination.