Zhifeng Bao （鲍芝峰） Room 14.09.19,
School of Computer Science and Information Technology,
GPO Box 2476, Melbourne 3001
Email: zhifeng dot bao AT rmit.edu.au
Tel: +61 3 992 51940
Fax: +61 3 9925 3748
I am looking for PhD/master students to work with me on various data usability projects.
3 PhD scholarships opening (until all positions are filled!)
If you are a highly motivated and creative student and interested in doing database research, please email me (see prospective students).
There are also a number of scholarships (APA, IPRS, RPIS, RPS, VCPS) and funded places available.
Dr. Bao holds a continuing position as Lecturer in School of Computer Science & Information Technology at RMIT (Melbourne, Australia). He is affiliated with the recently launched RMIT-NICTA Data Analytics Joint Lab and the ISAR (Information Storage, Analysis and Retrieval) led by Prof. Mark Sanderson. Dr. Bao's research is supported by Google Research Grant, Australasian Research Council and Data61.
I obtained my PhD in computer science from National University of Singapore (NUS) in 2011. I was a research scientist in the Interactive&Digital Medida Institute (IDMI), working with Prof. Anthony Tung to build a GPU-cluster for Real-time Analysis on high dimensional data such as features in video and image data streamed from sensors (2012-2013). In 2011-2012, I was a Postdoc Fellow of School of Computing, NUS, working on the UTab Project, under the supervision of Professor Beng Chin Ooi and Professor Y.C. Tay. I was a member of the DB System Research Group. From In June-Sep 2010, I was a visiting scholar at DKE, the University of Queensland, working with Professor Xiaofang Zhou on the data quality project. In Jun 2009-Nov 2009, I was very fortunate to do my summer internship at AT&T Research Lab, working with Dr. Divesh Srivastava on the Gigascope project. In 2006-2009, I was a teaching assistant at the school of computing, NUS.
- Mar: Honored to get a research grant of ~$130,000 from Data61 (a CSIRO entity that is the largest data innovation group in Australia), to support our research on trajectory data analytics.
- Jan: Honored to be invited to serve the program committee member of Tier-A* ACM SIGMOD 2018, ICDE 2018 and VLDB 2018.
- Jan: 2 ICDE papers got accepted! (NEW!)
- Warm Congratulations to my 1st year PhD student, Sheng Wang, got his first Tier-A* paper "Answering Top-k Exemplar Trajectory Query" published in just 8 months since he enrolled in RMIT.
- Congratulation to our student Farhana on her ICDE paper "Monitoring the Top-m Aggregation in a Sliding Window of Spatial Queries"!
- Nov 2016: Very honored to have our Discovery Program proposal on Query Processing over the Evolving Heterogeneous Data funded by Australian Research Council.
CI: Mark Sanderson, Zhifeng Bao; PI: H V Jagadish, Bruce Croft, Guoliang Li. 2017-2019, 337K AUD.
Scholarships and top-ups are available for potential PhD Students in this project!
-Oct 2016: It is my honor to be invited to give a new technical speech on Geo-spatial Data Exploration at the 33th National Database Conference of China (NDBC16).
- Sep 2016:
Our paper "Visualization-aided Exploration of Real Estate Data" won the Best Demo Paper Award at ADC 2016. Have a try on our system.
Our paper "Joint Top-k Subscription Query Processing over Microblog Threads" won the Best Student Paper Award at ADC 2016.
- Aug 2016: please consider submitting a proposal to hold a workshop joint with DASFAA 2017.
- May 2016: It is my honor to serve the Best Paper Awards Committee Chair of the 12th International Conference on Advanced Data Mining and Applications. Please consider submitting a paper to ADMA 2016 (CFP)!
- March 2016: It is my great honor to be granted a Google Faculty Research Award!
- Jan 2016: Two full research papers and 1 TKDE poster paper are accepted by IEEE ICDE 2016. Check!
- Jan 2016: APWeb 2016 is going to be held in the beautiful Suzhou of China. Please join us by submitting papers to the demo track chaired by me and Prof. Xiangliang Zhang.
I am highly interested in how to make data usable to data consumers, and make the implementation of such usability module as efficient and generalized as possible. In particular, I have been playing actively in:
- Data Visualization & Visualized Data Exploration
- Trajectory Data Mangement
- Geo-located Data Integration and Cleaning
- Spatio-Textual query processing
- Publisher/Subscriber over social media streams
- Real Time Personalized Search
(1) Keyword Search, (2) Query Relaxation/Suggestion,
(3) Exploratory Search Paradigm, (4) Data Provenance Tracking.
Google Faculty Award - 2015
Singapore Infocomm Development Authority Medal and Prize
Best PhD Thesis Award of Class of 2011 (The only Winner)
Research Achievement Award - 2009
ADC 2016 Best Student Paper Award
ADC 2016 Best Demo Paper Award
DASFAA 2017 Best Student Paper Runnerup Award
The 23rd ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2014)
Best Paper Nomination:
The 33rd International Conference on Conceptual Modeling (ER 2014) - Best Student Paper Award Nomination
The 2013 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM)
The 17th International Conference on Database Systems for Advanced Applications (DASFAA 2012)
The 25th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2009)
Selected Professional Services (Full List)
DASFAA 2017 (Workshop Track)
APWeb 2016 (demo track)
ADMA 2016 (Best Paper Award Committee)
Program Committee of International Conferences (only Tier-A*/A are shown):
2018 - Tier-A*: SIGMOD, VLDB, ICDE
2017 - Tier-A*: VLDB, ICDE, SIGIR
Tier-A: ER, CIKM
2016 - Tier-A*: SIGIR, IJCAI, VLDB (demo track), ICDE (demo track, TKDE Poster Track),
Tier-A: CIKM, EDBT (demo track), DASFAA, ER
2015 - Tier-A: CIKM, DASFAA, ER
2014 - VLDB (demo track), CIKM (demo track), ER
I am delighted to work with my excellent team on various research projects.
- Under My Primary Supervision
Sheng Wang (Thesis Topic: trajectory data exploration: from range query to top-k query)
Mingzhao Li (Thesis Topic: Visualized Analytics on Geo-spatial Data)
Liangjun Song (Thesis Topic: Multi-faceted Summarization of streaming data)
Munkh-Erdene Yadamjav (Thesis Topic: TBD)
Visiting Scholars- Mr. Ping Zhang (Wuhan University, China), duration: 2016.10 – 2018.1 (published 1 Tier-A conference paper)- Mr. Peng Wang (Harbin Engineering University, China), duration: 2017.1 – 2018.1- Mr. Guangliang Gao (NJUST, China), duration: 2017.7 – 2018.7
PhD students who I co-supervise with their supervisors in China and come to my research group at Australia:
- Mr. Yao Shen (NUAA, China), duration: 2015.9 – 2016.3 (published 3 papers, 1 Tier-A journal), first employment: Huawei, China
Shi Yan - RMIT
Shixun Huang , Jingfei Yang, David Alexander - UMELB (co-supervision with Prof. Rui Zhang)