Erected in 1878 the manse is beautifully situated in Banton. As at January 2014 The Manse was sold to a private buyer and is no longer owned by the Church.
There is a small village primary school that enjoys an excellent reputation. Kilsyth Academy is where the pupils continue their secondary education and travel by bus each day.
The local Health Centre is in Kilsyth (3miles). Here general practitioner and other services are available.
A library van visits the village every week and there is also a branch library in Kilsyth.
There is a bowling club, two hard tennis courts, a multi sports court, a public house and community centre.
Situated in beautiful countryside, the area boasts suitable facilities for walking, cycling, golf, fishing and other outdoor pursuits.
Banton Parish Church
The Church was constructed in 1838 as a 'chapel of ease' and was erected a parish 'quoad sacra' in 1888. The church seats 300 and was renovated in 2000. The Church has a Hammond electric organ and a sound system including an inductive loop system for those with hearing difficulties.
Weekly services are held at 12.00pm with the Sacrament of Holy Communion being held at Easter and November. In addition there is a Watch Night Service held on Christmas Eve at which members of Banton Baptist Church join us. On Remembrance Sunday, a poppy wreath is laid at the Parish War Memorial. Usually at Christmas, Easter and Summer vacations children from the village school hold an end of term service in the church (weather permitting). Church Hymnary 3 and Mission Praise are mainly used during the services. Our Praise Group sings for the congregation on occasions mainly Christmas and Easter and they join the Praise groups from the other churches in the area for joint services.
There are joint services between Banton and Twechar congregations from time-to-time during the year. Please bring along friends and family who will be given a warm welcome to our service.
There is a Sunday School which is for 3-12 year olds who meet in the church at the beginning of the service before going for their own teaching. The children return at the end of worship to tell adults what they have learned and any news they may have.
The overall maintenance of the Church buildings is the responsibility of the respective congregational boards. A full report of condition and necessary repairs is given by the Fabric convenor to the respective congregational board meeting.
The congregations are aid receiving but are financially sound and all obligations to the national church and to Glasgow Presbytery are met from respective weekly offerings. Special needs are met through various separate fund-raising activities.
The congregation numbers 68 and although this is one of the smaller congregations within Glasgow Presbytery, it is an extremely dedicated one. The congregational board consisting of 18 members meets bi -monthly and has readily available assistance from congregation members when required. There are eleven members of session (5 male 7 female). Great emphasis is placed on the important role that Elders play in the life of the church, which includes regular visits to parishioners.
Banton Church Hall
The hall adjacent to the church was built and opened in 1949. The main hall accommodates seating for 70 and has a stage. The sound equipment in the church may be used if required. There is a small kitchen, toilets and storage. Adjacent is a vestry that is also used as the Session Room. In a typical week the hall accommodates Sunday School and church activities. It is also used for some of the fund raising activities of the congregation. The hall was fully renovated and modernised following grant aid given from the government's Land Fill Tax Credit Scheme during 2000.
As well as a long established Clergy Fraternal in the Kilsyth area, the Churches of Scotland formed a Parish Grouping in 2015 which replaced the previous group 'Kirks the Gither'. This gives support to all Church of Scotland churches within the Kilsyth area with the mission aim: To proclaim the gospel and increase the followers of Christ.
In addition we give support to the Glasgow Lodging House Mission. Click here for more details. We hold a retiring collection on Remembrance Sunday and also for the Scottish Bible Society annual collection.
We are also very pleased to have Ms Helen Scott as a Missionary Partner working in Malawi.
Parish Profiles >