Who We Are/History


The Baltimore First Free Methodist Church was born from a nucleus of a group of persons in the Hampden area of Baltimore. They were born again Christians who believed in the doctrine of entire sanctification and who were dissatisfied with their home churches because of the opposition to their testifying to the experience of entire sanctification. They began holding meetings in various homes. By 1906 the group had grown and, though it had no regular pastor, the group decided to rent a place for worship.

            Accordingly, McCann’s Hall on what was then Third Avenue and Falls Road, was rented, and a Sunday School was started.

            It was in McCann’s Hall in the year 1906, that the Rev. William J. Mosedale under the direction of Elder A.G. Miller, organized the society of the Baltimore First Free Methodist Church with 25 charter members. These names of the charter members are known:

            Harry Z. Albaugh              Walter Davis                     Dan Hilker                        Cora Hilker

Bessie Albaugh                Carrie Davis                      James Norris, Sr.               William Harris

Mr. & Mrs. Tyler               Filmore Boring                  George Boring                   Harry Houck

Willemeiner Boring

 

            As new persons came into the church, a building was constructed through the generosity of Filmore Boring and William Houck, on the present site, 3441-43 Keswick Road (then Cedar Ave.). The building was dedicated on November 3, 1907, by Bishop Wilson T. Hogue.

            The parsonage was built next to the church in 1924, under the direction of the Rev. A.W. Meyer, who was the pastor then. Major improvements were made to the church building during the pastorate of the Rev. L. H. Kelly, 1926-27. These improvements consisted of a heating plant to replace the pot-bellied stoves in the main auditorium, painting the building inside and out, cementing the basement floor, and installing Sunday school rooms and rest rooms in the basement.

            In 1946, an organ was purchased, and in 1949 was updated with a new Baldwin. Chimes were installed in the belfry and a public address system was placed in the auditorium. These were the gifts of Mr. and Mrs. Robert DeLong. In 1957, under the direction of Rev. Lawrence E. Seely, an education building was erected, consisting of six Sunday school rooms, pastor’s study, and a kitchen.

            In 1976, an extensive remodeling program was started on the church. This included an exterior face-lift of the front, a new foyer, steps and flower beds. A one-story addition in the rear added Sunday school rooms and an auditorium (now dedicated Phillips Hall). The completed structure was dedicated in October 1976. Darrold L. Phillips was pastor during this time.

Subpages (1): [Untitled]
Comments