Decorative Metal Trellis : Decorative Metal Panel.
Clinton Hill, Brooklyn Built in three sections. the Lefferts-Laidlaw house is a rare surviving example of a freestanding. temple fronted Greek Revival style Structure in Brooklyn. It may be the only remaining temple-fronted Greek Revival style residence in Kings County. In form and decoration, this residence is typical of the designs popularized by the builders' guides of the period. exhibiting such distinctive characteristics as a temple front with a pedimented gable roof, columns, and comer pilasters. The Lefferts-Laidlaw House typified the villas that were erected in Brooklyn's early suburbs in the early-to-mid nineteenth century and is one of a handful of such buildings that survive today. The house retains much of its historic clapboard siding and decorative moldings. It was constructed during an expansive period of suburban development in the Wallabout area after the creation of the Brooklyn Navy Yard during the early nineteenth century. In the early 1840s this house was occupied by engineer Marshall Lefferts, who later achieved prominence as an inventor and as the commander of the Seventh Regiment during the Civil War. Other notable residents included A. Orville Millard, an attorney. judge. and civic leader. who owned the house from 1843 to 1854, and leather merchant William Mannheim, who owned the house from 1867 to 1881. The house was restored between the late 19705 and early 1980s. It is still used as a residence. The Lefferts-Laidlaw House is located on a rectangular mid-block lot which extends fifty-two feet along Clinton A venue and is 120 feet deep. The ground slopes to the west and the house is set back about thirty feet from the street and about five feet above street grade. The front yard is bordered by a masonry retaining walls topped by metal fences. The low east wall along Clinton Avenue is faced with stucco. It supports a non-historic iron picket fence which has two gates, These open onto small areaways that are bordered by non-historic masonry retaining walls. The areaways are paved with concrete. Non-historic concrete steps lead to a historic semicircular path composed of bluest one pavers. On the north side of the yard, the retaining wall and iron picket fence with lead fleur-de•lis caps are historic. On the south side of the yard, the concrete wall with brick coping and chain link fence are non•historic. The non•historic gravel driveway to the south is shared with the house at 142 Clinton Avenue and lies partially on both properties. The Greek•Revival•sryle frame house was restored in the late 1970s. The house is irregular in plan and is composed of three distinct elements - the gable-roofed temple-fronted two-story main house, the one•story flatroofed southeast wing. and the two-story rear (southwest) wing. The main house and southeast wing rest on a rubble fieldstone foundation. The foundation of the rear wing is also stone. The upper walls of all three sections are faced with mid•nineteenth-century wood clapboards. Many of the window surrounds appear to be original but much of the window sash has been replaced. Main House: The facade of the main section of the house is three bays wide and features a gabled portico that extends about eight feet in front of the facade wall. The porch is approached on its south comer by a wood staircase. The stairs are flanked by wood pedestals that are articulated with recessed panels. The staircase and plinths date from the late 1970s•early 1980s but their design is based on historic photographs of the house from c. 1900. The wood porch floor and giant Corinthian columns also date from the late 1970s-early 1980s. The columns support an Ionic entablature and a pediment that retain their original molded trim. The tympanum area of the pediment is faced with historic wood clapboards which are laid flush. The round metal louvered window at the center of the tympanum is nonhistoric. The facade wall is faced with lapped clapboards and framed by comer boards that are slightly tapered to suggest pilasters with classical entasis. A non•historic mailbox has been installed on the south pilaster adjacent to the front door. The entrance has a cast-stone surround ornamented with roseues: it was installed in the 1970s•1980s to replicate the original surround shown in historic photographs. The paneled wood door with six-light window probably was installed in the late 1930s or 1940s. The first-story windows have non-historic wood surrounds and contain non-historic six•over-nine wood sash. The secondstory windows are partially hidden by the porch entablature. The windows retain their original heavy wood surrounds but have non-historic six•over•six wood sash. The windows on both stories were installed as pan of the 19705 restoration and were believed to replicate original conditions. The louvered window shutters are non-historic but replace shutters seen in 6 historic photographs of the house. The historic light fixture that is suspended from the porcTrellis 1
Keystone Metals blacksmith Ray, forged the vine from a length of 1" solid stock. Grapes and leaves are hammered copper. The grapes had a heat patina and the leaves were done with a chemical process.
home decor library
christmas table decoration ideas
decorative glass window film
room decorating pictures
cozy living room decor
fly fishing home decor
interior decorating bathrooms
romantic room decorating ideas