Chewy Molasses Sugar Cookies from Bakin' On The Side
Yield: 6 dozen cookies
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup molasses
4 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1. Melt shortening and butter on the stove over low heat and allow to cool.
2. Combine butter/shortening mixture with sugar, brown sugar, eggs and molasses. Beat well.
3. In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients together, then add to wet ingredients. Mix well.
4. Chill dough for at least 3 hours. (I usually leave it overnight)
5. Form dough into walnut-sized balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes - do not overbake.
7. Once cooled, store cookies in an airtight container.