Pear Spice Cake Ingredients
Walnut Praline Topping
Pear Spice Cake Directions
1. Make sure rack is in the middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour bundt pan. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy, about 4-5 minutes for a hand mixer and about 3 minutes in a stand mixer. Be sure to scrape the bowl every few minutes. Add yolks 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract. Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture and buttermilk in alternating batches, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Mix well after each addition. Fold in pear pieces and chopped walnuts.
4. In a separate bowl with cleaned beaters, beat egg whites until they just hold stiff peaks. Gently fold whites into batter until fully combined.
5. Spoon batter into prepared bundt pan, smoothing top, and bake until a wooden pick or skewer comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. If serving warm, start walnut praline topping while cake is cooling. Invert onto rack to cool.
Walnut Praline Topping Directions
1. In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, whipping cream and 1/2 cup butter over medium-high heat until smooth. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring often. Stir in walnut pieces. Spoon warm topping over cake.
Baking with Basil