Makes 5-6 dozen cookies
Sugar Cookie Ingredients
Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
Sugar Cookie Directions
1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In another large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract and sour cream, beat on low speed until combined.
3. With mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients and mix just until combined, scraping down the bowl as needed. If your dough is a little sticky, that's ok. Place 2 large rectangles of plastic wrap on counter. Divide dough into 2 equal portions and flatten into 1 1/2 inch thick rectangles. Chill into refrigerator for alt east 2 hours or overnight.
4. When ready to bake: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line large baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats and set aside.
5. Lightly flour the countertop and the top of the dough. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into 1/4 inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out cookies and place onto prepared pans. Dip cookie cutters in pile of flour if needed to keep dough from sticking. Bake for 7 minutes or until cookies are starting to turn slightly golden brown around the edges. Immediately transfer cookies to a cooling rack when removed from oven. Allow cookies to cool completely before frosting.
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium-high speed for about 2-3 minutes. Add vanilla extract and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time until fully incorporated. Add salt. Beat for an additional 1-2 minutes until smooth. Add heavy cream, 1 tbsp at a time. Continue to beat on medium-high speed for another 1-2 minutes until desired consistency as been met. Add food coloring if desired.
2. Once cookies have cooled completely, add frosting and sprinkles. Allow frosting to set and then store in an air tight container.
Baking with Basil