Mini Chicken Pot Pies
Makes 6 mini pies
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped potato
1 cup fresh green beans cut into 1 or 2 inch pieces.
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Other spices to taste (garlic, celery seed etc.)
2- 8 oz cans of chicken broth
1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
2. In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, potatos, and beans . Add enough chicken broth cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain (while saving the chicken broth,) and set aside
3.In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and spices . Slowly stir in 1 3/4 cup chicken broth and 1 cup milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
4.Combine the Chicken mixture and the sauce. If it doesn't seem saucy enough, slowly add broth and milk one tablespoon and a time until mixture has a nice gravy. (Sorry to be vague here but you really just need to eye ball it. Especially if you are decide to add other veggies.)
3 3/4 cups sifted white flour
2 tsp salt
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons oil (I use canola)
3/4 cup plus 1.5 tabespoons ICE water - super cold
1. Sift four and salt.
2. Put oil and water in cup together.
3.Don't mix them, but add all at once to a little valley that you have made in the flour mixture.
4.Stir with a fork just until it sticks together into a ball.
5.Cut in half. Divide each half into 6 equal small portions. Roll each section between two pieces of waxed paper. Tip from my Mom: (I usually put a tiny, tiny amount of water on the table under the bottom waxed paper because it doesn't move around as much and sticks to the table better.)
6. After each section is rolled out lightly press it into the large muffin cups allowing the edges to come all the way up to the top and hang over a bit.
7.Fill each up with the Chicken mixture.
8. Roll out the remaining 6 dough sections and one by one drape it over the filling, press the edges together and trim excess dough.
9. Use a fork or butter knife to indent the edges if you'd like, and cut small slits into the top of each pie to allow steam to escape.
10. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly