Home‎ > ‎

BOC History

Baird Ornithological Club
In 1921 Harold R. Morris named the bird club The Baird Ornithological Club. It was named for Spencer Fullerton Baird (1823-1887), the second secretary (director) of the Smithsonian Institution, who was born in Reading in 1823. Earl L. Poole was the first president of the Baird Ornithological Club from 1921-1946. He was also the assistant director of the Reading Public Museum and Art Gallery. Upon the retirement of Levi Mengel at the age of 70 in 1939, Earl Poole was appointed acting director of the museum.

The early meetings were very informal and were comprised of seven or eight birders. There were no planned programs, but general conversations about bird records usually led to chalk drawings and detailed explanations by Earl Poole.

The wikipedia page about the Baird Ornithological Club

Comments