- Inca's empire was more vast than the Aztec
- Inca's method of communication was more advanced with the creation of a runner system who carried messages to
their capital and other areas within the empire.
Fun Fact: Inca roadrunner
To be a 'mailman' within the Inca Empire was considered a specialized
profession. Inca roadrunners carried mail, news, and orders all across the
Empire and if it was discovered that a message was not accurate or not
sent, punishment was severe.
What is a quipus and what is a codex?
- The locations were in different areas - Inca lived in the Andes Mountains and Aztec resided in the Mexico Valley.
- Inca used quipus for documentation and Aztec used codex.
"A quipu is essentially a group of wool and cotton strings tied together. Quipus were a tool used by the
Inca empire to communicate some kinds of information throughout the Inca Empire."
"Aztec codex' contained of used form of writing that consisted of pictorial representations painted on bark
paper and animal hides. There are three main types of codex: historical accounts, ritual almanacs,and
- Both Incas and Aztecs participated in human sacrifices
- Both had very developed civilization
- Both were conquered by Spain. (Aztec by Herman Cortes, Inca by Francisco Pizarro)
- Both believed in idols (polygamy)
- Both depended on agriculture
- Both believed and worshiped a sun god