The U16/U19 program is executed in conjunction with the fall and spring season primary program. The purpose of the program is to explore different
ways to attract and keep U-16/U-19
players in the AYSO program.
The program will continue to permit U-16/U-19 play to be conducted with greater flexibility by permitting the following:
- More informal play
- More games and less practices
- Coed play
different programs in U-16 and/or U-19 based on the ability of the
participants to commit their time (e.g., a 10-hour program for those
with more time and a four-hour program for those with less time).
- Fixing game times on a regular basis to suit the working schedule and other commitments of the participants
- More flexible player substitutions
- Limitation of the play of any participant who is excessively violent and receives a red card during a game
of a "traveling" team to participate in non-AYSO leagues but only where
there are insufficient AYSO players to form a viable U-16 or U-19
league or a combined U-16/U-19 league within the region or area
- Creation of a "select" team to play in USYSA, SAY or other tournaments
- Creation of neighborhood or regional or area based teams to minimize the travel of the participants.
substitution is permitted in the U-16/U-19 Program, but only if it
is handled in a manner which will ensure that every participant plays
at least one half of every game by requiring a separate time monitor,
independent of either team or coach, who checks each player in or out of