Thank you volunteering to coach in AYSO. Without our volunteers, we would not have a league.
Here is what is required in order to coach an AYSO team:
- Register as a volunteer: go to the www.eayso.org web site and fill-out the adult volunteer form. Print a copy of the form after it is completed and turn it in at the snack shack or board member. Be sure to include a cell number and email address. If you do not have an email address, it only takes a few moments to set-up a Gmail or Yahoo account. Please note that the processing of the volunteer form includes a background check.
- Once you are cleared as a volunteer, you will be designated as a coach or assistant coach. Only volunteers that are designated as a coach or assistant coach are allowed to be assigned to a team.
- Every year, all volunteers are required to take the AYSO Safe Haven training. This even includes returning volunteers that have taken the course before. The training is available at www.aysotraining.org - you will need your AYSO ID in order to sign on to the web site. You can see your AYSO ID by signing into eayso.org (your AYSO ID is not the userid you use to sign in to eayso.org), click on Update Volunteer Information and you will be shown your AYSO ID. Once you log in to the training web site, click on COURSES and you will see the courses offered online. At least once a year, the Safe Haven course will also be offered in a classroom setting.
- Coaches and assistant coaches are required to take the CDC Concussion Awareness training. This course is offered online only. A link to that training is also available at www.aysotraining.org in the COURSES section.
- Coaches and assistant coaches are required to take age-appropriate coach training courses. Even if a coach has been certified at a higher level, they must be certified for the age division the are coaching for the current season. For example, if a coach has received U10 training in the past, but is now coaching a U06 team, that coach must take the U06 coach training course if they had not taken it in before. Each season, the region will hold coach training courses for the U06 - U12 divisions. The online U06 - U10 training courses are in the COURSES section of the online training web site mentioned above. Coaches are encouraged to also take the in-person training courses. The Regional Coach Administrator (RCA) will contact the coaches regarding the schedule for the in-person training courses. For the U14 and above divisions, contact the RCA for help determining when and where the Intermediate and Advanced training courses will be held.
Once you have completed the above you will be a fully certified coach for the age division you are coaching.