The Association for Women in Mathematics sponsors a variety of programs and awards to encourage girls and women in the mathematical sciences.
Organizing meetings in cooperation with AWM -
AWM often cooperates with mathematics institutes or other
associations in organizing
conferences. Inquiries about organizing a conference in cooperation
with AWM should be
sent to email@example.com.
Workshops for Women Graduate Students and Postdoctoral
Mathematicians - Since 1988, the AWM has held a series of
workshops in conjunction with major mathematics meetings to
highlight the accomplishments of women graduate students and
recent Ph.D.'s. Join us at the annual Joint Mathematics
Meetings, the SIAM annual meeting, and other special events.
Travel Grants for Women Researchers - The travel grants
program enables women to attend research conferences in their
fields, thereby providing a valuable opportunity to advance
their research activities and their visibility in the research
- Mentoring Travel Grants for Women - The mentoring grants program funds travel, subsistence, and other required expenses for an untenured woman mathematician to travel to an institute or a department to do research with a specified individual for one month.
Noether Lectures - The Association for Women in Mathematics
(AWM) and the American Mathematical Society (AMS) annually presents the Noether Lectures to honor women who
have made fundamental and sustained contributions to the
Falconer Lectures - The Association for Women in Mathematics
and the Mathematical Association of America annually present the
Etta Z. Falconer Lectures to honor women who have made
distinguished contributions to the mathematical sciences or
Kovalevsky Lectures - The Association for Women in
Mathematics and the Society for Industrial and Applied
Mathematics annually present the Sonia Kovalevsky Lecture at the
SIAM Annual Meeting to honor a woman who has made distinguished
contributions in applied or computational mathematics.
Sonia Kovalevsky High School Mathematics Days - Sonia
Kovalevsky Days have been organized by AWM and institutions
around the country since 1985. They consist of a program of
workshops, talks, and problem-solving competitions for high
school women students and their teachers, both women and men.
Partnership - links teachers of mathematics in schools,
museums, technical institutes, two-year colleges, and
universities with other teachers working in an environment
different from their own and with mathematicians working in
business and industry.
matches mentors, both men and women, with girls and women who
are interested in mathematics or are pursuing careers in
mathematics. The network is intended to link mentors with a
variety of groups: recent Ph.D.s, graduate students,
undergraduates, high school and grade school students, and
Contest: Biographies of Contemporary Women in Mathematics – AWM
and Math for America sponsor an annual contest to increase awareness
of women's ongoing contributions to the mathematical sciences. Open
to any student in grade 6 through college undergraduate, entries are
biographies of contemporary women mathematicians and statisticians
in academic, industrial, and government careers.
- AWM Student Chapters - hold regular meetings and events, open to all undergraduate and graduate students, regardless of major or gender. These meetings and activities allow students to be exposed to the world of professional mathematics, to obtain information about the varied career options in mathematics, to network with professional mathematicians, and to develop leadership skills.
Alice T. Schafer Prize - Awarded annually to an
undergraduate woman for excellence in mathematics. Past
recipients include Ioana Dumitriu who went on to be the first
female to score in the top six in the Putnam Mathematics
Louise Hay Award - Awarded annually to recognize the
outstanding achievements of a woman in mathematics education.
Past recipients include Etta Z. Falconer, a major figure in
promoting minorities as well as women in mathematics.
- Humphreys Award - Awarded annually to recognize the outstanding mentorship activities of a woman in the mathematical sciences.
- Ruth I. Michler Memorial Prize - Awarded annually to a midcareer woman to facilitate a semester of mathematical research at Cornell University.
- AWM-Birman Research Prize - Awarded every other year to recognize exceptional research in topology/geometry by a woman early in her career.
- AWM-Microsoft Research Prize - Awarded every other year to recognize exceptional research in algebra/number theory by a woman early in her career.
- AWM-Sadosky Research Prize - Awarded every other year to recognize exceptional research in analysis by a woman early in her career.
AWM Scholars at AAAS Meeting - Up to six women students will
be chosen to attend the AAAS Annual Meeting. There will be daily
seminars for these students, where they will discuss the content
of the mathematical sessions that have occurred and are about to
occur, both with each other and with some of the session
organizers and speakers.
Connecting Women in Mathematical Sciences to Industry - This
program, jointly sponsored by the IMA and AWM, will connect
approximately 60 female graduate students in the mathematical
sciences with women mathematicians in industry.
- AWM (Co-)Sponsored Conferences - The AWM in conjunction with a variety of co-sponsors has held a number of conferences including a Kovalevsky Symposium, a Noether Symposium, the Robinson Celebration and the Taussky Todd Celebration..