Mathematical Scientists & Educators
AWM Programs Membership
Programs for Recent PhDs
Scholarships, Grants, Fellowships
- AWM Travel and Mentoring Grants
- The Fields Institute’s Research Immersion Fellowship supports individuals with high potential to re-enter an active research career after a career interruption.
- Resources for women in mathematics from the Canadian Mathematical Society include Canadian grants and fellowships.
- The Naval Research Laboratory sponsors a Postdoctoral Fellowship Program at a number of Naval R D centers and laboratories.
- The National Research Council Research Associateship Programs offer postdoctoral, and senior level research opportunities at sponsoring federal laboratories and affiliated institutions.
- L’Oréal’s For Women in Science Fellowships Program specifically recognizes women post-doctoral scientists for their contributions in STEM fields and for their commitment to serving as role models for younger generations.
- The American Association of University Women has several types of fellowship and grants. American Fellowships support women scholars who are completing dissertations, planning research leave from accredited institutions, or preparing research for publication. International Fellowships are awarded for full-time study or research in the United States to women who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Career Development Grants provide funding to women who hold a bachelor’s degree and are preparing to advance or change careers or re-enter the workforce. Selected Professions Fellowships are awarded to women who intend to pursue a full-time course of study at accredited U.S. institutions during the fellowship year in one of the designated degree programs where women’s participation traditionally has been low (including mathematics).
Courses, Workshops, Research Opportunities
- The Mathematical Sciences Research Institute in Berkeley, CA offers Connections for Women workshops. These two-day workshops provide an enhanced opportunity for female researchers to interact with other women with similar research interests.
- Mathematics and statistics institutes around the United States and Canada run workshops and other events that focus on diversity.
- Women in Number Theory runs periodic workshops for women in number theory.
Other ResourcesK–12 EducationUndergraduate EducationGraduate Education
- Many types of statistics
are available from the National Science Foundation, for example, how
many women earn baccalaureates in mathematics each year. These and other
information are published biennially in two reports: Science and
Engineering Indicators and Women, Minorities and Persons with
Disabilities in Science and Engineering, both of which are available
from the National Science Foundation’s statistics website.
survey of mathematics and statistics departments is conducted annually.
This includes faculty salaries and demographics, PhDs granted, and
- CBMS survey
of mathematics and statistics departments is conducted every five
years. This includes faculty demographics, undergraduate course
enrollments, and number of mathematics and statistics baccalaureates
Promoting Diversity at the Graduate Level, a report from a workshop at the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute.
- Accelerating Change for Women Faculty of Color in STEM: Policy, Action, and Collaboration, a report from the Institute for Women's Policy Research.
- Seeking Solutions: Maximizing American Talent by Advancing Women of Color in Academia: Summary of a Conference, a report from the National Research Council.
- Advancing Diversity in the US Industrial Science and Engineering Workforce: Summary of a Workshop, a report from the National Academy of Engineering.
- A Forgotten Class of Scientists: Examining the Parental and Family Benefits Available to Research Trainees
- Dual-Career Academic Couples: What Universities Need to Know
- Why So Slow?: The Advancement of Women