AWM Policy Statements and Endorsements
AWM is a member of the Coalition for National Science Funding (CNSF) and we have been signatories to a number of letters, such as the February 18, 2009 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, the Fiscal Year 2011 Letter, the Fiscal Year 2012 Letter, the 2012 Intersociety Letters on Travel Restrictions to the House and the Senate, and the 2012 CNSF Letter to the Senate on the Commerce, Justice, and Science appropriations bill for fiscal year 2013.
Select AWM-Related Responses to Events of Interest
- 2012 Publication of Report by the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST)
- Letter from AWM President to Eames Office
- March 30th Post by AWM President to Eames Office Facebook Page
- 2011 Publication of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences article
- 2010 Publication of the New York Times articles “Daring to Discuss Women in Science” (June 8) and “Legislation Won’t Close Gender Gap in Sciences” (June 15).
- 2008 Publication of Washington Post article “Was Larry Summers Right About Intrinsic Aptitude?
- Letter (unpublished) from AWM President to the Washington Post
- 2006 Appointment by George W. Bush of Camilla Persson Benbow to the National Mathematics Advisory Panel
- 2005 Lawrence Summers remarks on “intrinsic aptitude”
- Letter from AWM President to the New York Times
- 2004 Publication of Notices of the American Mathematical Society article by AWM president and president-elect “Women in Academia: Are We Asking the Right Questions?”
- 2001 Publication of Nintendo Ad in Girls’ Life magazine
- Letter from AWM President to Nintendo Vice President
- 1983 Publication of Science article “Sex Differences in Mathematical Reasoning Ability: More Facts” by Camilla Persson Benbow and Julian C. Stanley
- 1980 Publication of Science article “Sex Differences in Mathematical Ability: Fact or Artifact?” by Camilla Persson Benbow and Julian C. Stanley
- AWM Statement in March/April 1981 AWM Newsletter (see President’s Report)
- Commentary in July/August 1981 AWM Newsletter, pp. 12-15
- Science editorial “Mathematics and Sex” by AWM founding presidents Alice T. Shafer and Mary W. Gray
- 1980 Sentencing of Tatyana Velikanova
- Article in Nov/Dec 1980 AWM Newsletter, p. 7 and pp. 21-24
- Letter from AWM President to President of Academy of Science, USSR in May/June 1981 AWM Newsletter, pp. 3-5