he Centre itself is based in what was originally the school built in Avonmouth, in 1886. It was known as the National School, which accommodated 200 pupils. Three years later the school was extended to accommodate a further 100 pupils. Due to increasing numbers of children necessitating larger premises, a new school was built in Catherine Street, the old school finally closing in 1971.
Following the school's departure from the building, a group of local residents took over the management of the building, and Avonmouth Community Centre Association was created. Since then, the organisation has been overseen by a group of trustees, mainly local people, who believe that the building is an important resource for the community.
The building is now used for providing accommodation for various community activities and the local library.