John MORLEY was born in 1836 at Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England, the second son of James MORLEY and Martha DALTON. He was christened on the 15th May 1836 in Withyham, Sussex, England (1). He resided between 1836 and 1841 at Nr Yew Tree Cottage, Withyham.(2) He immigrated on the 1st October 1842 to Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. John had travelled with his mother, father and 8 brothers and sisters aboard the "Apolline" which berthed on the 24th September 1842 and after the ship had been quarantined they landed on the 1st October 1842. He resided between 1842 and 1864 at Prossers Plains (now known as Buckland), Tasmania. John had various occupations of being a labourer, a farmer and a miner at Running Creek, Wooragee, Victoria between 1863 and 1896. He died on the 10th February 1896 in Beechworth Hospital, Beechworth, Victoria from Pneumonia. He was buried on the 11th February 1896 at Beechworth Cemetery.
He married Emma RAYMANT on the 7th January 1860 at St John the Baptist Church, Prossers Plains. Emma was born on the 12th May 1840 at 3, Wallington Place, Wandsworth, Battersea, Surrey, England the eldest child of George RAYMANT and Emma BAKER. She was christened on the 4th October 1840 at St Marks, Kennington, London, England. She immigrated on the 9th September 1859 to Hobart per the "Oriental". Her occupation was a Housemaid and Laundress. She died on the 10th November 1887 at Wooragee from cancer of the cervix. She was buried on the 13th November 1887 at Beechworth Cemetery.
John and Emma's children were:
1. Emma Louisa MORLEY was born the 10th September 1861 at Prossers Plains. Emma married William SIMMS on the 30th September 1896 at the Salvation Army Headquarters, Beechworth. She died on the 13th August 1916 at Ovens District Hospital, Beechworth and was buried at Beechworth Cemetery.
2. Charlotte Amanda MORLEY was born on the 22nd January 1863 at Prossers Plains. She died in 1913 at Hawthorn, Victoria.
3. John George MORLEY was born on the 6th January 1864 at Beechworth. John married Louisa SMITH in 1902 in Victoria. He died on the 31st December 1928 at Mt Eccles, Warrugul and was cremated at the Fawkner Crematorium, Victoria.
4. Rosanna MORLEY was born in 1865 at Beechworth. She died in 1865 at Wooragee and was buried in 1865 at Wooragee on the family property. A headstone made of railway sleepers marks the spot under a large tree. She was also known as Tresia Rosiana.
5. James Walter MORLEY was born on the 15th December 1869 at Beechworth. He died in 1921 at Holbrook, NSW.
6. Clara Agnes MORLEY was born on the 12th September 1872 at Wooragee. Clara married Zacharius WILLIAMS on the 22nd January 1890 at Beechworth. She died in April 1946 and was buried on the 30th April 1946 at the Beechworth Cemetery.
6. Bertha Alice MORLEY was born on the 5th August 1873 at Wooragee. Bertha married Joseph CHATFIELD in 1890 at Beechworth. She died on the 15th June 1937 and was buried on the 16th June 1937 at the Beechworth Cemetery.
7. Albert Ernest MORLEY was born on the 23rd August 1875 at Beechworth. Ernie as he was known married Lydia Broomfield Elizabeth CURD in 1895 at Beechworth. He died on the 2nd August 1945 at Miles, QLD and he is buried at Miles Cemetery.
8. Edith Maud MORLEY was born on the 13th July 1877 at Beechworth. Edith married Charles Henry Hope Bracebridge ALLEN in 1900 in Victoria. She died on the 2nd August 1957 at 28 Moorhead Street, Camberwell, Victoria and was buried in 1957 at Burwood Cemetery, Burwood, Victoria.
9. Amy MORLEY was the first born twin on the 27 March 1879 at Running Creek, Wooragee. Amy married Joseph THATCHER on the 24th September 1904 at Camberwell Baptist Church, Camberwell, Victoria. She died on the 10th November 1943 at 63 Fletcher Street, Auburn, Victoria.
10. Ada MORLEY was the second born twin on the 26 March 1879(sic) at Running Creek, Wooragee. Ada married Alexander Edward WEGENER in 1900. She died on the 21st January 1970 at Ascot, QLD and is buried at Lutwyche Cemetery, Queensland.
1. Withyham Parish Registers. CRO, Lewes, Sussex.
2. "Withyham Inhabitants, 1838". PBN Publications, Eastbourne, Sussex. 1991.
Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.