Office of the indiana attorney general : Unemployed lawyers 2011
Office Of The Indiana Attorney General
- The head of the US Department of Justice
- The principal legal officer who represents a country or a state in legal proceedings and gives legal advice to the government
- the chief law officer of a country or state
- the person who holds the position of secretary of the Justice Department; "Edmund Randolph was the first Attorney General, appointed by President Washington"
- In most common law jurisdictions, the attorney general, or attorney-general, is the main legal advisor to the government, and in some jurisdictions he or she may in addition have executive responsibility for law enforcement or responsibility for public prosecutions.
- Enterprise Security. A division in the Technology responsible for Information Security in state government.
- a state in midwestern United States
- A state in the eastern central US; pop. 6,080,485; capital, Indianapolis; statehood, Dec. 11, 1816 (19). It was colonized by the French in the early 1700s and ceded to Britain in 1763. It passed to the US in 1783 by the Treaty of Paris
- Indiana is a U.S. state, admitted to the Union as the 19th on December 11, 1816. It is located in the Midwestern United States and Great Lakes Region, and with approximately 6.3 million residents, is ranked 16th in population and 17th in population density.
- SS Indiana was an iron passenger-cargo steamship built by William Cramp & Sons in 1873. The third of a series of four Pennsylvania-class vessels, Indiana and her three sister ships - Pennsylvania, Ohio and Illinois - were the largest iron ships ever built in the United States at the time of
James Findlay Harrison
11th OH. Infantry Linn County Republic, Friday, Feb.22, 1907 Died: Feb. 14, 1907 COL. JAMES F. HARRISON, BORN MARCH 9, 1825---DIED FEB. 14, 1907 A Valiant Soldier a Faithful Father and an Honored Citizen Laid to Rest. Col. James F. Harrison, formerly County Surveyor, and an old time citizen of Mound City, Linn County, Kansas born March 9th, 1825 in Cincinnati, Ohio, was the son of William Henry Harrison, a native of Vincennes, Indiana. His father, born Sept. 26, 1802, was the son of General William Henry Harrison, the paternal grandfather of our subject being the hero of Tippecanoe, and later President of the United States. The father, educated in Transylvania University, in Kentucky, was admitted to the Bar in Ohio in 1823. The mother, Jane Findlay Irwin, was the daughter of Archibald Irwin a prosperous farmer near Mercersburgh, Pennsylvania. On the Harrison side the family dates back to Thomas Harrison, a Major General of the Parliamentary army, and once Colonel of the Old Ironsides Regiment of Cromwell. He was one of the Judges who tried King Charles, and was the one who, by orders of Cromwell dissolved the long Parliament and arrested the Speaker. He was hung, drawn and quartered May 10th, 1660. His son, Benjamin Harrison, who emigrated to America on account of political differences with his father located in the Old Dominion, and became Clerk of the Council of Virginia. He died in the year of 1649, and left a son Benjamin; that latter was born September, 20th, 1645 in Southwork, Parish, Surrey county, Virginia, and died January 1713. His son Benjamin, born in Berkley, Virginia, and later Attorney General and Treasurer of the state, was also Speaker of the House of Burgesses, and died April 10th, 1710, aged thirty seven years. Benjamin Harrison, also born in Berkley, and a son of the last named Sheriff of Charles City county, and in 1728 a member of the house of Burgesses died in 1774. His son Benjamin, likewise of Berkley, was a member of the House of Burgesses from1750 to 1775, and was a member of the first Continental Congress and a signer of the Declaration of Independence. He was three times Governor of Virginia and carried the popular vote of his state. His third son, William Henry Harrison, born in Berkeley, Feb. 9, 1775, afterwards became the famous General and later President of the United States. He served as Aide de Camp under Anthony Wayne and was Secretary of the North-west Territory. He was a delegate to Congress from that territory, and a brave soldier he fought at the battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 7, 1811. He was engaged at Ft. Meigs—and participated in the battle of the Thames Oct. 6, 1812. He was United States Senator from Ohio, and was Minister to Columbia. President of the United States, he expired while in office April 4, 1841. His second son, William Henry Harrison became the father of our subject. Upon the maternal side, the family dates back to Archibald Irwin, who settled in Pennsylvania before the Revolutionary war. He was a cadet of the House of Irwin, of Bonshaw, Scotland. His son Archibald married Mary Ramsay, whose father was a younger member of the Dalhousie family of Scotland. Their daughter was Jane Findlay Irwin the mother of Col. James F. Harrison. The parents after their marriage settled in Cincinnati, Ohio where the father practiced law, and later died in his fathers house at North Bend. The father and mother were blessed with two children, James F. and William Henry. The later, born May 5th, 1828 died in Mexico in April 1849. Our subject who was educated in Cincinnati College, entered West Point Military Academy in 1841 and graduated in 1845. General Fitz John Porter was in the same class. Colonel Harrison later resigned from the Academy, but when the war broke out with Mexico, volunteered in the First Ohio Infantry. He was Adjutant of the same when only twenty one years of age, and served with distinction under Colonel Alexander M. Mitchell. Our subject remained with his regiment, actually engaged all through the war, he was under the command of General Taylor until discharged in June 1847, and participated in numerous hot skirmishes with the Mexican Cavalry. Our subject became an inmate of the White House at Washington D. C., during the incumbency of President W. H. Harrison and was at his bedside when that veteran soldier and statesman entered into rest, mourned by all loyal citizens as a national loss. This was prior to his going to West Point. After his return from the Mexican war, Colonel Harrison entered into the study of law, and later admitted to the Bar of Indiana, practiced there for a few years. He resided in Dayton, Ohio from 1854 until 1864, and enlisted in the three months service in the Civil war being Colonel of the 11th Ohio Infantry. During the Chickamauga Campaign he was Aide de Camp and Chief of Staff to General W. H. Lytle, and was covered by the life blood of the General when he was killed
Company B, 45th Iowa Infantry History of Cherokee County Kansas and its representative citizens, ed. & comp. by Nathaniel Thompson Allison, 1904 JOHN MELANCHTHON McNAY, one of the leading citizens of Cherokee County, who is secretary and general manager, at Columbus, of the Inter-State Mineral, Oil & Gas Company, which is operating in the Chanute oil and gas field, also enjoys an enviable reputation as a successful newspaper man. Mr. McNay was born near Waynesburg, Greene County, Pennsylvania, July 20, 1848, and is a son of Brown and Rachel (McConnell) McNay. The McNay family is of Scotch-Irish extraction. At an early day seven brothers of the name came to America and all of them took part in the Revolutionary War. It has been distinguished in military affairs ever since, each American war finding members of the McNay family in the ranks of its loyal soldiery. One of the prized possessions of our subject is the sword, wielded by his father in the Mexican War. The grandparents of Mr. McNay were John and Mary (Smith) McNay, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania; the former was born December 9, 1781, and died June 16, 1864, and the latter was born March 9, 1782, died May 22, 1871. They had nine children. Brown McNay, father of our subject, was born February 14, 1816, and died August 4, 1880. His wife was born September 1, 1828, and died February 5, 1870. Their nine children were: John Melanchthon; James S. B.; Alexander T.; Nancy M. J.; Chauncey S.; Maggie M.; Sarah J.; Anderson H. and Della M. Brown McNay followed agricultural pursuits all his life. In 1856 he moved to Iowa with his family, settled on a farm and continued to reside there the remainder of his life. John McNay was reared on his father's farms in Pennsylvania and Iowa and had limited school opportunities. He attended the district schools at intervals and was assisted at home in the pursuit of knowledge by his mother, who had been a teacher prior to her marriage. But being the eldest of the large family many of the heavy responsibilities of the farm fell upon him. In 1864, although but 15 years of age, he enlisted for service in the Civil War, entering Company B, 45th Reg., Iowa Vol. Inf., in which he served until the close of the Rebellion. After his return to Iowa, he took an academic course of three years at Washington, Iowa, and then taught school for one year in Knox County, Illinois. On November 29, 1870, Mr. McNay came to Kansas, and spent the succeeding 15 years in Ottawa and Clay counties. Soon after removing to Phillipsburg, in 1885, he established the Phillipsburg Dispatch, which soon became the Republican organ of that congressional district, and there he remained until June, 1894, when he removed to Columbus, and ere long became the editor in chief of the Columbus Advocate. When Mr. McNay took charge of the Advocate, he had behind him a State-wide reputation as an editorial writer. He found here a poorly equipped office, old and worn out machinery, a load of indebtedness and but a lukewarm interest in what should have been the leading organ of the Republican party in this intelligent portion of the State. Under his able management, which continued through eight and a half years, conditions were so changed that at the time he disposed of the property in order to give his entire time to other interests, in 1902, no office in Southeastern Kansas was better equipped. Mr. McNay's policy and his judicious management had resulted in not only the advancement of the paper to a front rank in the State, but in adding to his laurels in the profession. The Inter-State Mineral, Oil and Gas Company, in which Mr. McNay is the largest holder of stock, has a capital stock of $500,000, all fully paid in and absolutely non-assessable. Its principal holdings consist of a liberal lease on 160 acres of land owned by one of the directors of the company, which is located four miles southwest of Chanute, within three-quarters of a mile of the main pipe line leading from Chanute to the Neodesha oil refineries, and in the center of the West Chanute and Earlton fields, with oil wells on all sides, and as good producers as any yet discovered in this oil district. The development of this field has proved so successful that a lease paying one-eighth royalty, covering three quarters of a section, one mile north of this land, recently sold for $30,000 and one quarter section, one mile northeast, sold for $25,000. This company thus has very solid grounds for believing that this particular section will prove to be one of the most productive in the State. The officers of this important concern are: J. Wilbur Logan, president, now engaged successfully in the farm, loan and abstract business at Columbus; George W. Rains, vice-president, an extensive mine owner and operator in the Joplin-Galena lead and zinc district, at Galena; John M. McNay, secretary and general manager; W. M. Barbee, treasurer, a prosperous and substantial real estate dealer,