SLATE FLOORING COST : FLOORING COST

SLATE FLOORING COST : ENGINEERED WOOD FLOORING BRANDS : INTERLOCKING FLOOR MATS KIDS

Slate Flooring Cost


slate flooring cost
    flooring
  • The boards or other material of which a floor is made
  • floor: the inside lower horizontal surface (as of a room, hallway, tent, or other structure); "they needed rugs to cover the bare floors"; "we spread our sleeping bags on the dry floor of the tent"
  • (floored) provided with a floor
  • building material used in laying floors
    slate
  • A fine-grained gray, green, or bluish metamorphic rock easily split into smooth, flat pieces
  • A flat piece of such rock used as roofing material
  • A flat piece of slate used for writing on, typically framed in wood, formerly used in schools
  • thin layers of rock used for roofing
  • designate or schedule; "He slated his talk for 9 AM"; "She was slated to be his successor"
  • (formerly) a writing tablet made of slate
    cost
  • the total spent for goods or services including money and time and labor
  • Cause the loss of
  • Involve (someone) in (an effort or unpleasant action)
  • be priced at; "These shoes cost $100"
  • (of an object or an action) Require the payment of (a specified sum of money) before it can be acquired or done
  • monetary value: the property of having material worth (often indicated by the amount of money something would bring if sold); "the fluctuating monetary value of gold and silver"; "he puts a high price on his services"; "he couldn't calculate the cost of the collection"

17 East 128th Street House
17 East 128th Street House
Harlem, Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States The 17 East 128th Street House is one of a few surviving frame houses in Harlem which date from the period in the city's history when Harlem was still a rural village and not legally part of the City of New York. Constructed circa 1864, this house was once one of many similarly styled framed houses that were built in Harlem at roughly that same time, particularly between 110th Street and 130th Street. Although its architect is unknown, the house exemplifies a pleasing synthesis of Second Empire and Itallanate elements. Among its more prominent features are a polychromatic, slate covered, mansard roof and a covered porch which runs the width of the facade at the parlor floor level. The 17 East 128th Street House derives its significance primarily from the fact that it has managed to survive, remarkably intact, until today. Harlem: History and Development The area of New York City presently known as Harlem embraces generally the region of Manhattan above Central Park. The first settlement in this area occurred in 1636. In 1658, Peter Stuyvesant established the town of Nieuw Haarlem in the vicinity and named it in fond recollection of the city of Haarlem in Holland. From its founding, through the colonial period and well into the nineteenth century, Harlem retained its rural character. The flat eastern portion of the area, blessed with lush soil, was placed under cultivation and brought prosperity and wealth to its farmers. In the western half of Harlem, some of New York's most illustrious families, including the Delanceys, Bleeckers, Rikers,Beekmans and Hamiltons, maintained large estates which exploited the magnificent views that Harlem Heights proffered. For approximately two hunderd years, the Village of Harlem remained remarkably stable and fairly small. In the 1820s, for example, a mere 91 families resided there. In the 1830s, Harlem's stability was shaken when the town suffered a decline which lasted until the end of the nineteenth century. Harlem's once fertile farmland, worn out by decades of cultivation, lost its former productivity. As a result, many of its great estates were put up for public auction and the farmlands were sold at bargain prices. The area was sought by those desiring cheap property and housing, including many newly-arrived and destitute immigrants to whom the once productive soil seemed less forbidding. At midcentury, Harlem, with its still unspoiled countryside and striking vistas, retained its essentially rural, small town feel. Consisting of farm houses interspersed among scattered shantytowns, Harlem boasted a population of rougly 1500. As the population of New York City continued to swell after the Civil War, mounting development pressures which pushed residential neighborhoods further northward began to affect the status of nearby Harlem. Harlem expanded slowly during, the 1860s. However, it was not until after Harlem was annexed to New York City in 1873 that development began in earnest. One of the earliest of these investors was Abraham Overhiser. In 1836, he acquired a parcel of land consisting of seven lots on tax map block 1753 (then 513) between East 128th Street and East 129th Street. Previously, these lots had been owned by Charles Henrv Hall who had purchased them in 1825 as nart of a barger parcel of land. During the eighteenth century, these lots comprised portions of two separate farms, those of John Adriance and Abraham Meyer. In 1835, Hall sold a large portion of his holdings to Francis Pickett, who, nine months later, sold smaller parcels to willing buyers. Overhiser purchased lots 9-12 and 16-62 for the total price of $3,809. He proceeded to take up residence on the East .129th Street frontage of his property and maintained his home there until the 1860s' when he began to divest himself of individual lots. By 1864, he had conveyed all of those lots to others. According to both real property tax records as well as conveyance records, Lot 10, the site of the 17 East 122th Street House, had not been improved when Overhiser sold the property. However, thev do imply that, by 1865, some improvements had been placed on the lot. In that year, the assessed property valuation for real estate tax purposes had jumped nearly 500 percent, to $2,200, from the previous year's valuation. Moreover, in 1865, Samuel M. Brown, who had purchased Lot 10 from Overhiser for $1,125 in 1864, sold the property to one James Beach of Throgs Neck, Westchester for $5,900, and increase of nearly 525 percent of his original cost for the property. These enormous increases in assessed valuation and in cost indicate that some improvement, probably the present house, was placed on this lot in late 1864 or early 1865. Moreover, the design of the structure, its detailing, and the type of building materials used in its construction indicate that the house at 17 East 128th Street had to have been built at roughly this time. Unfortuna
Buckingham Old Gaol
Buckingham Old Gaol
cell block is on 2 floors with 1st-floor landing of York stone serving cells, supported by cast-iron brackets and approached by stone cantilever dogleg stair; plain iron balustrades. The exact number of cells originally provided is difficult to determine, but there appear to have been around 5 cells downstairs and 8 cells upstairs before mid C19. Several cells survive unaltered with most of the original cell doors. Surviving cells have brick floors and painted brick barrel-vault roofs, fitted wood mattress frames and double cell doors with peep holes. Backs of inner doors are lead-plated; studded outer doors. One trefoil-shaped cell to ground floor in one of the turrets 3 upstairs cells converted C19 into a police station with 12-pane sash windows and division walls removed. Original cell windows looking into courtyard are slit-shaped with York stone sills, jambs, curved lintels and iron gratings. York stone-paved courtyard. Part of yard encroached upon by single-storey former fire engine store with lean-to slate roof. The Old Gaol was built at the expense of Viscount Cobham of Stowe at a reputed cost of ยป7000, in conjunction with his successful Parliamentary Bill, passed 1748, to fix the Summer Assizes at Buckingham (qv Old Town Hall). The Old Gaol forms an important landmark in the middle of the town at the head of the broad spaces in Market Hill and High Street on the other side, still partly used for a market. It resembles two eyecatchers built around the same time at Stowe - the Keeper's Lodge now known as the Bourbon Tower and, especially, Stowe Castle. Underused throughout most of its history, parts of the building have served as police station, public conveniences (now removed) and fire station. LBO

slate flooring cost
See also:
good charlotte dance floor anthem download
wooden floors and underfloor heating
water under floor heating
floor tile underlay
wood floor sales
used floorboards
wood floor nails
bamboo flooring samples
weather tek floor mats
natural floor covering
Comments