posted Jun 30, 2009, 6:19 AM by R. Brett Rosson
updated Aug 1, 2009, 4:11 PM
- The Nationals are supposedly interested in Jordan Schafer. Adam Dunn is probably not a good fit because the Braves can't afford to add his contract and is sub par defensively. Some say Josh Willingham could be the bait being thrown out by Washington. I don't think its a great idea. He is not a proven hitter.
- The Cardinals might go after Matt Holiday. If they do land him, that would free up Ryan Ludwick. The Braves have shown interest in him before, and the Cardinals have shown interest in Kelly Johnson. With the addition of an outfield bat, the struggles of KJ, and Skip Shumaker, the liklihood of trading KJ for Ludwick has gone down drastically. A KJ and a prospect could possibly get the deal done.
- Mark Teahen of Kansas City has become available according to reliable sources. He would be a great fit for Atlanta because he can play all over (2B, 3B, OF).
- Watching the Gwinnett Braves game, I heard that Soriano of the Cubs and Grady Sizemore of Cleveland may be available. These are long shots of course but just interesting.
- Braves are willing to trade Javier Vazquez and Yunel Escobar.
- Doesn't seem likely that they will move Yunel Escobar. He is too good of a player for as cheap as he is. Vazquez may not be dealt because his return value is so high. This poses a problem for when Hudson comes back off the DL. He is scheduled to start making rehab appearences soon, and will be back mid-August if all goes according to plan.
- Braves traded Jeff Francoeur to Mets for Ryan Church
- Rafael Soriano and Mike Gonzalez are free agents at the end of the year so they could possibly end up being trade bait. The bullpen has been struggling of late so this is not likely to happen. They seriously need that added power bat however so one of these guys could be packaged for a deal to be made.
- Doesn't seem like there will be much trade talks going on with the Braves since they have been playing so well lately. Might add an arm in the bullpen, but that would be about it.
- Braves trade for Adam LaRoche. It was for Casey Kotchman straight up.