2015 ABS Show
2:00 - Show Set-up (tables, screens, etc.)
5:00 – 7:00 PM Trees delivered to ABG Garden (1st. floor); no trees accepted after 7:00 or on Saturday.
The guest artist will arrange all trees for display. Club members may arrange with Russell Baggett to deliver their trees if they are unable to make the 7:00 Friday deadline. The cards identifying each tree will have the owner’s first name on the back. There will be no written critique on the cards but a verbal critique will be done by the guest artist at 10:00 Saturday.
8:00 – 9:00 Judging by the guest artist alone; no members will be allowed in the show area during the judging.
10:00 - Critique of trees by guest artist
2:00 - Demonstration by guest artist (ABG Garden Theater)
8:30 – 12:15 Workshop by guest artist (ABG Garden House – under café)
12:00- Peoples’ Choice balloting ends
2:00 - Auction
5:00 - Breakdown of show
There will be three categories of entrants:
The expert category shall be for trees primarily designed, trained or
grown by professional bonsai artists.
These trees must be accompanied by a stand and accent. Those trees that have been worked on at an
ABS workshop may be entered in any category..
(2) Enthusiast: The enthusiast category shall include trees
that have been grown, designed and trained by non-professionals. Entries must be displayed with an appropriate
stand and accent.
(3) Novice: This novice category shall include threes
designed and trained by those club members with three years’ experience or
Best in Show (1)
First Place: Expert, Enthusiast, Novice (3)
People’s Choice (1)
Honorable Mention – up to 10 at
the judge’s discretion
- All entrants must be ABS members or members of their local clubs. Memberships may be accepted at the show.
- ABS members may bring a maximum of five trees
but only three will be entered in the competition unless it is determined by
the committee that more trees are needed for a quality show.
- No entry shall have received a “Best in Show” or
“First Place” ribbon in an ABS competition in the previous three years.
- There will be one “Best in Show” awardee and it shall not be one of the “First Place” awardees.
- All entries must be properly prepared for showing at the discretion of the judge.
- A shohin display will be judged as a single entry.
- The honor system will guide entrant’s determination of which category to enter trees.
- Show rules and guidelines will be posted on the ABS website and newsletter.
- A recruitment table will be manned during show hours. Two ABS members will be responsible for watering each tree each day. Two ABS members will be on security duty each day during show hours.
- Each show visitor will be the opportunity to vote once for a “People’s Choice” entry.
- Tokonoma exhibits mat be entered but will not be judged.
- Show rules and guidelines will be posted on the
ABS website and newsletter.
- A recruitment table will be manned during show
hours. Two ABS members will be responsible
for watering each tree each day. Two ABS members will be on security duty each
day during show hours.
- Each show visitor will be the opportunity to
vote once for a “People’s Choice” entry.
- All vendors must be ABS members.
- Vendors’ fees will be $25.00 for one table supplied by the ABG and my provide up to three tables supplied by themselves.
- Payment must be made before vendors set up their displays. The order of selection for spaces will be based on payment date.
- Rodney Clemons (assisted by Dave Murphy and Eli Akins) will be in charge of vendors.