Our Story

From the Swamp to an iRock to happily ever after

back to homepage

back to wedding page

How We Met

The scene of the crime: where Mike and I met


Mike and I met at The Swamp Restaurant in early April of 2005.  We were both there to meet mutual friends for happy hour.  We were introduced and talked for a bit.  Mike didn't really catch my eye at first.  After happy hour, we all went to Gator's Dockside (where I worked at the time) for dinner. 


At dinner, I sat next to Mike, and he finally managed to catch my attention  when he said one of my favorite movie quotes, "there's no crying in baseball!" (from A League of Their Own.)  I quote this movie frequently, and I rarely hear someone else do the same, so I took notice.  The next Friday, we all met up for happy hour again at The Swamp.  I took a seat next to him (b/c it was the only empty chair and thank goodness it was), and we started talking.  We really hit it off.  At the end of the night, I mentioned to a good friend of mine that I was interested in Mike and I thought we had really hit it off.  She said she could tell there was something there too.  

The next day I had to work, and  Mike came in to see me (and have lunch).  We started spending more and more time together over the next few weeks.  In the beginning of May, he asked me to be his date to a friend's wedding, and then we officially started dating on May 6th.  That summer I knew Mike was the one for me, and I know he felt the same way.  Things went so well for us, and we moved in together in February of 2006. 



The Engagement Story

For our first anniversary, we decided to go to the Melting Pot for dinner and then exchange gifts back at home.  I had been wanting an iPod for months.  In fact, that's what I thought I was getting for Christmas, so I was convinced that would be my anniversary gift since it wasn't under the tree.  I am a very curious person by nature and Mike loves to tease me when he has a suprise planned.  He started giving me "clues" about my gift to throw me off.  He said I would love it, it was something I would use everyday, and it was sentimental.  I was certain that I was getting an iPod with a personalized playlist.  

After dinner, we went home and I gave him my present.  Then he went back to the office and came back with his hands behind his back.  He reached out and gave me a small black jewelry box.  My stomach was jumping, and I was so excited.  I couldn't believe this was happening.  But then I opened the box and there was no ring inside.  Instead there was a piece of paper that said "a promise."  I was very confused. I thought at first this was just a promise that he would marry me some day.  But then he got down on one knee and told me how much he loved me and that his promise was to always love me and make me happy. (He said a lot of other stuff that I can't remember because I was so excited).  Then he pulled out another jewelry box (this one with a ring inside) and asked me to marry him.  Of course, I said yes.  And we now jokingly refer to my engagement ring as the iRock since I was so sure it would be an iPod.

my iRock . . . Mike picked it out on his own & I LOVE IT!


Happily Ever After

Since the honeymoon, Mike and I are still in town, while we finish school.  We should be finished at the same time in the summer of 2010.  At that point, our plan is to get the heck outta dodge!  I've been here my entire life, and I am ready to live somewhere else.  Right now, our top two cities are Portland and Chicago, but that could change in the next year and a half.  (For those of you who would like an exact due date to anticipate--we're looking at sometime in 2011-2012). 


To be continued . . . .