1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 lb. zucchini, coarsely grated
1 large egg
1 ripe jalapeño
1 green onion, chopped (2 Tbs.)
1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
2 Tbs. olive oil
¾ cup homemade hummus
2 pita breads, halved and warmed
a mix of garden fresh tomatoes to which you have added some fresh, chopped mint and basil
1 red onion, thinly sliced, dressed with a tablespoon of seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 cups chopped sorrel
1. Stir together yogurt and lemon zest in small bowl. Set aside.
2. Wrap grated zucchini in clean kitchen towel, and wring out excess moisture.
3. Whisk egg in large bowl. Stir in zucchini, green chilies, green onion, and garlic. Sprinkle mixture with flour and baking powder, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Drop 6 heaping tablespoons zucchini mixture into skillet, and gently flatten. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate, and repeat with remaining zucchini mixture.
5. Spread 2 Tbs. hummus inside each pita half. Fill with 2 tomato slices, 2 zucchini cakes, red onion slices, and ⅓ cup chopped sorrel. Drizzle each gyro with 2 Tbs. yogurt mixture.
Note: I also added chopped Kalamata olives. I added chopped mint and basil to the tomatoes and seasoned rice wine vinegar to the red onion. I used fresh garden sorrel for the lettuce and my recipe for hummus.