(New Mexican Meatball Soup)
2 medium eggs
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 ½ cups, chopped Onions
3 cloves of Garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
1½ teaspoons Ground Coriander
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon dried Red Pepper flakes
½ cup Sweet Red Pepper, diced
½ cup Sweet Yellow Pepper, diced
8¼ cups low fat Beef Broth, no salt added
2 cups Whole Plum Tomatoes with juice, no salt added
1 to 2 teaspoons seeded, minced fresh Jalapeño Pepper
½ teaspoon Black Pepper
¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
½ pound Ground Beef, 95% lean
½ pound Ground Pork
¼ cup raw Basmati Rice, white
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
½ cup chopped scallion plus tops
½ cup Cilantro leaves, fresh
Avocado slices (optional)
1. In an 8-quart soup or saucepan, add the ¼ cup beef broth, the onion, garlic, red and yellow peppers, ground cumin, and sauté stirring frequently, until the onion is golden, about 5 to 7 minutes. (By using the beef broth you have omitted the fat and calories you would have added by using a vegetable oil. I use this method often when sautéing.)
2. Add the remaining beef broth, tomatoes with their juice, dried oregano, 1 teaspoon of the coriander, ½ to 1 teaspoon of the jalapeño pepper, dried red pepper flakes, and ¼ teaspoon of the black pepper. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the beef, pork, rice, egg, sea salt, garlic powder, the remaining ½ teaspoon coriander, ½ to 1 teaspoon jalapeño pepper, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Knead the ingredients together with your hands and then beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is well mixed. Shape the meatballs by scooping up a tablespoon of the mixture and rolling them into balls.
4. Drop the meatballs into the simmering soup and stir gently to separate them. Partially cover and simmer the soup for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. There will be a lot of meatballs!
5. Serve soup hot with a garnish of scallions, cilantro leaves and avocado slices, if desired.