CALL FOR CHORAL SCORES 2016
Deadline: October 15, 2016
The Astoria Choir invites submissions for its annual call for works to be programmed on its Readings & Carols Concert on Saturday, December 10, 2016 alongside other holiday and seasonally inspired works.
- Composers must live in or be matriculated at an undergraduate or graduate program in the NYC area (5 boroughs plus Nassau, Westchester, Hudson, Bergen, and Essex Counties)
- Only one submission per composer; please select your best work
- The work should be for mixed choir and can be a cappella or use any combination of 4 trumpets, 3 trombones, tuba, organ, and piano
- Electro-acoustic works will not be considered
- Works must be inspired by the holiday or winter season, including sacred and secular themes
- Works should not exceed eight (8) minutes
- Single movements from larger works, not to exceed eight (8) minutes, are acceptable
- Up to three works will be chosen for the concert
- Each selected composer will be invited to attend a rehearsal and meet with the choir
- Composer(s) are encouraged to attend the concert
- An anonymous copy of the full score as a PDF, free from any identifying markings including name, commissioning party, or dedication
- Information Sheet with the following details, as a separate PDF:
- Composer’s name, phone number, mailing address, and email address
- Title and duration of work
- Statement that the text is in public domain or written permission for use of text
- An anonymous recording of the work as an .mp3 file. MIDI realizations are acceptable
2. Please pay a $10.00 submission fee via PayPal below (a PayPal account is not needed to submit payment).
- $250 will be awarded for each selected composer, as well as a performance of the work on the concert program
- A digital copy of the concert recording will also be provided
- Winner(s) will be notified via e-mail by November 10, 2016, and announced on our social media platforms.