MILL CITIES COMMUNITY INVESTMENTS - MILL CITIES

Mill Cities Community Investments - American Investment Llc - Good Company To Invest In.

Mill Cities Community Investments


mill cities community investments
    investments
  • (invest) endow: give qualities or abilities to
  • A thing that is worth buying because it may be profitable or useful in the future
  • (invest) make an investment; "Put money into bonds"
  • (invest) furnish with power or authority; of kings or emperors
  • The action or process of investing money for profit or material result
  • An act of devoting time, effort, or energy to a particular undertaking with the expectation of a worthwhile result
    community
  • a group of nations having common interests; "they hoped to join the NATO community"
  • A group of people living together in one place, esp. one practicing common ownership
  • A particular area or place considered together with its inhabitants
  • common ownership; "they shared a community of possessions"
  • All the people living in a particular area or place
  • a group of people living in a particular local area; "the team is drawn from all parts of the community"
    cities
  • A large town
  • (city) people living in a large densely populated municipality; "the city voted for Republicans in 1994"
  • A place or situation characterized by a specified attribute
  • An incorporated municipal center
  • (city) a large and densely populated urban area; may include several independent administrative districts; "Ancient Troy was a great city"
  • (city) an incorporated administrative district established by state charter; "the city raised the tax rate"
    mill
  • factory: a plant consisting of one or more buildings with facilities for manufacturing
  • Scottish philosopher who expounded Bentham's utilitarianism; father of John Stuart Mill (1773-1836)
  • A building equipped with machinery for grinding grain into flour
  • move about in a confused manner
  • A piece of machinery of this type
  • A domestic device for grinding a solid substance to powder or pulp

The Wall Street Inn (9 South William Street)
The Wall Street Inn (9 South William Street)
Financial District, Lower Manhattan On the southern half of this site, landowner Wessel Evertsen built a house (c. 1660) for Asser Levy, a Jewish butcher and moneylender who successfully fought for permission from the town "to keep guard with other burghers" despite the disinclination of his fellow townsmen to serve with Jews. Levy retained the property for ten years, then conveyed the house and lot to Jan Herberding (a/k/a John Harpendingh), who later leased land on the west side of today's South William Street to Congregation Shearith Israel for its synagogue. At the northeast corner of the site Jacob Haey (a/k/a Jacob Heij, d. 1658), who had been a prosperous trader in Curasao and Santa Cruz, erected a comfortable house (c. 1648). Haey also owned a large plantation, in what is now Greenpoint, Brooklyn, which was cultivated by African slaves. His widow, whose second husband was shipmaster David Jochemszen (a/k/a Jochems), continued to live in the Stone Street house until at least 1686. The lane adjacent to this property was very narrow, and remained so for a century; in 1754 residents petitioned to widen it, as it was the "only passage thro Mill Street Commonly Called the Jews Ally [...] to Duke Street." The Haey/Jochems house and its garden were then sacrificed for the widening of the lane; however, documents indicate that the site of 59-61 Stone Street soon again contained two structures. The southern half of the site (No. 59 Stone Street) was associated with Gershom Mendes Seixas (1746-1816), the rabbi of Congregation Shearith Israel, chief spokesman for American Jewry, and Revolutionary patriot. Seixas was among the city's first philanthropists and for many years was a regent and trustee of Columbia University. Meanwhile the northern half of the site (No. 61 Stone Street) was owned by Matthew Clarkson, probably the army officer and philanthropist (1758-1825) who participated in many important Revolutionary War battles, was elected to state-wide offices, and served as president of the Bank of New York for the two decades prior to his death; and Jotham Post, Jr. (1771-1817), a physician and drug importer who held political office at the state and national levels. Just before the 1835 fire, No. 59 Stone Street was the home of sailmaker John Co!e and was owned by merchant Edwin Lord. By 1836 that building had been replaced by a brick store and loft building with a granite base; at first it was occupied by the firm of E. & C.G. Fehr. Later tenants included Zollikoffer & Wetter, importers; and Ralli & Company, commission merchants. No. 59 was owned for many years by importer Christian H. Sand and later owned and occupied by merchants Alexander M. and George P. Lawrence. Immediately prior to the Great Fire, No. 61 was also owned by Edwin Lord and was run as a boardinghouse by Catharine Allien, a widow. By 1836 that building was replaced by a brick store and loft structure which was occupied by importer Christian H. Sand and soon thereafter by other importers, including the German importing firm of Frederick Vietor and Thomas Achelis. Long-term owners of No. 61 included Amos R. Eno (1810-98), partner in one of the city's leading wholesale drygoods firms and later an important real estate investor who built the famous Fifth Avenue Hotel (see introductory essay); Francis Vose, whose firm Vose, Perkins & Company occupied the building; and the members of the prominent Cutting family. During the 1920s, insurance executive William H. McGee, through his Eleven South William Street Company, employed architect William Neil Smith to remodel the site for McGee's marine insurance firm, founded in 1883. In 1924-25 [Demo 326-1924; Alt 2562-1924] Smith raised the building on the southern portion of the site from five to seven stories. In 1928-29 [Demo 319-1928; Alt 1973-1928], he demolished the five-story structure on the northern half of the lot and replaced it with a six-and-one-half-story building fronted in limestone and surmounted by a slate-covered mansard roof. By 1929, the building was reoriented toward South William Street and Mill Lane, and largely unified on the exterior by its neo-Gothic cladding and mansard roof. The enlarged structure accommodated 345 workers of William H. McGee & Company, marine insurance underwriters. Smith was concurrently building a private club at 21-23 South William Street for an affiliate of the McGee firm. At mid-century Lehman Brothers occupied the building (then known as 9 South William) as an annex to its larger building across Mill Lane (outside the boundaries of this district). Originating as a mercantile trade and commodities firm before the Civil War, Lehman Brothers established a base in New York in 1868 and soon shifted to investment banking. The only such firm to survive the Great Depression with its prestige intact, it financed many successful businesses such as Hollywood studios and large department store chains. Th
Mackin House - ca. 1913
Mackin House - ca. 1913
1116 Brunette Avenue, Coquitlam, BC. Description of Historic Place: The Mackin Residence is a two-and-one-half storey wood frame Edwardian era residence with a later addition to the south, located on historic King Edward Avenue at the corner of Brunette Avenue. It faces the Fraser Mills Manager's Residence, flanking the original northern entry to Fraser Mills-at onetime the largest lumber mill in the British Empire. Heritage Value of Historic Place The Mackin Residence was built in response to a major expansion of Fraser Mills undertaken between 1907 and 1908. It is valued as a testament to the success of Fraser Mills, and also for its ties to the French-Canadian settlement of Maillardville. Built circa 1913, this residence was reserved for the person holding the second level of authority at the mill; the last manager vacated the residence in 1971. A move from the Mackin Residence to the Fraser Mills Manager's Residence usually occurred as the result of a promotion or transfer in the upper echelon of management. These two houses flanked the original entry to Millside, the company town built north of the mill. Established in 1889, the mill initially suffered as its target market was foreign trade, which required the use of large ships to transport wood products. The Fraser River channel was too shallow to accommodate these vessels, and the mill-unable to compete with mills located on deep-sea ports-was forced to shut down. The river was finally dredged in 1905 and the mill resumed production in 1906. Its success was immediate and it could not keep pace with orders, but lacked funds for expansion. The following year the mill was bought by an investment syndicate based in the United States, which provided the capital necessary to upgrade equipment and expand the mill operations. The Mackin Residence, along with a host of new buildings and amenities, was built during the major expansion of Fraser Mills, which also required the construction of new accommodation for workers at this remote location. An economic downturn in 1907 led to Anti-Asiatic riots that caused a local labour shortage, and as a result a Roman Catholic priest was hired by Fraser Mills to recruit new workers from lumbering regions in Quebec and Ontario. On September 28,1909, 110 French Canadians, approximately 40 families, mostly from villages in the Hull and Sherbrooke regions in Quebec and Rockland, Ontario, arrived at the Millside Station. A second group of immigrants arrived the following year. The French-speaking settlers founded the community of Maillardville in close vicinity to Fraser Mills, on pay-by-the-month lots supplied by the company. The Mackin House was viewed as prestige housing within the Millside and Maillardville community. The Mackin Residence is also significant for its association with long-time Fraser Mills management, the Mackin and Ryan families, who both lived in the Mackin Residence and Fraser Mills Manager's Residence at one time or another over several decades. The house was built by the company for Henry James Mackin and his wife; Mackin was at the time the General Sales Manager. In 1914, Mackin was promoted to Mill Manager and moved across the street into the Fraser Mills Manager's Residence. The same year, Tom Ryan was promoted to General Mill Superintendent and moved into the Mackin Residence. In 1931, Tom Ryan was promoted to Mill Manager and moved into the Fraser Mills Manager's Residence and Ryan's son, Maurice, was promoted to Assistant Mill Superintendent and moved into this house. Maurice lived here until 1944, when he was again promoted and moved to the Fraser Mills Manager's Residence. At this time H.J. Mackin's son, Bill Mackin, moved into the Mackin Residence. Bill Mackin was responsible for the large addition to the south of the original residence. The Mackin Residence is also significant as an excellent example of Edwardian era architecture that is displayed through its original foursquare plan, stately residential form, and substantially intact interior. The community heritage value of this house additionally lies in its public interpretation of Coquitlam's history and heritage. In 1993, it was converted for community museum use, and is now operated as the Mackin Heritage Home & Toy Museum. Character-Defining Elements: Key elements that define the heritage character of the Mackin Residence include its: - landmark corner location, and orientation facing the Fraser Mills Manager's Residence across King Edward Street - residential form, scale and massingas expressed by its two and one-half storey height with full basement, with a hipped roof and hipped dormer - wood-frame construction with wide lapped siding and bellcast shingling at the second floor - Edwardian era detailing such as its original foursquare plan, exposed rafter tails and asymmetrical entry - additional exterior details, such as its one tall corbelled external red brick chimney and one internal red brick chimney at the rear;

mill cities community investments
Comments