1095 Saginaw Street S
Salem, OR 97301
Call 503-364-8318 for more information.
Open Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Closed on Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's
Interested in consigning items with the Daue House Gift Shop?
Click below for:
Items for sale at the Daue House include collectibles, furniture, lamps, glassware, dishes, kitchen items, jewelry, vintage toys and dolls, women’s clothing and other items. Because nearly all our items come from consignors, each trip through the Daue House is full of surprises. Consignment items are taken twice weekly and priced to sell. This makes for a continually changing assortment of items.
The Daue House is staffed by volunteer Assistance League members who work hard to help customers and to place items in an attractive arrangement in this vintage home.
From Daue House sales, sixty percent of the sale price is returned to the consignor. After minimal expenses, the remaining dollars fund our various philanthropic programs benefitting community members.
Come in to our fun, ever changing shop, finding what you want and let your purchase dollars help to meet the need in our local Salem community.
From your friendly volunteer Daue House staff
Historic Daue House
Celebrating 100 Years
Located at 1095 Saginaw Street South in Salem, Oregon, the Alexander Daue House is known for its Craftsman Bungalow style. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 6, 1985. Click here and search for Daue to see photographs taken before Assistance League restored the home. Daue House retains much of its original architectural features, with prominence given to the fireplace, a bay window which extends the full length of one wall, and a continuous plate rail. The original woodwork on the first floor was painted when one of Alexander's sons occupied the house.
The history of the house can be traced to the Daue family who came to Salem in 1891. The family lived at 220 Owens St. while they built their home during 1907 and 1908. The family had four sons and one daughter. Initially Alexander and his brother operated a grocery store, named Daue Brothers, on the southwest corner of Commercial and Bush. Alexander then became sole proprietor and renamed the store A. Daue, General Merchandise. In addition to groceries, the store sold crockery, clothing, glassware, wood and willoware. In 1909, Alexander expanded his business to include his four sons. Three of the sons went on to other careers but his oldest son, Elmer, continued to work in the store and later took over the business in 1929 after his father's death. Elmer operated it as a neighborhood grocery store until his retirement in 1962. The building that housed the original store was demolished later that year. Another son, Clifford, operated Daue Drug Store in the same block for many years. This store was sold in 1947 and moved to the next block and became South Salem Pharmacy.
Elmer acquired the family home and lived there for several years after his father's death, but eventually the house was sold. In 1987, Assistance League of Salem became its proud owner and has since operated the home as their Gift Shop. The Craftsman style flourished during a period of grand ideals and entrepreneurial spirit, each of which describe our chapter. It is fitting that we call the Daue House our home.
Fundraising Sources >