Projects will involve reading on a topic of interest and making a brief oral presentation (10- 15 minutes) at the end of the course, and a one-two page report, that highlights what is interesting about the chosen topic and a brief description.
Below are some project suggestions, but if you have other ideas, come and discuss them with me. Please try to decide on your project topic by Nov15.
- The Kondo Effect and MultiChannel Kondo Effect Affleck's review
- Field theory of disordered systems RMP-Section 5, Stone
- Quantum Hall Skyrmions and Bilayer QHE Girvin.
- Quantum Hall phase transitions Sondhi
- Renormalization group for Fermions Shankar
- ADS-CFT duality and Condensed Matter Physics: Sachdev
- Kitaev Model Kitaev
Other Project Topics;
- Large N theory of Frustrated Magnetism Sachdev
- Deconfined Criticality PRBl
- Gauge theories from Defect Suppression: Z2 gauge theory: Rokshar; U(1) gauge theory: Motrunich
- Topological Terms in quantum magnets from Dirac fermions [Paper1, Paper2]
- Dimer models [Moessner1, Moessner2 ]
- String Order Parameters [Review, den Nijs]
- Microscopic Models of Fractionalization 1: [Balents]
- Microscopic Models of Fractionalization 2: 3D [Hermele]
- Tunneling into Quantum Hall Edges etc. [KaneFisher]
- Quantum Entanglement and D=1+1 Criticality [Wilczek, Cardy]