Remove White Stains From Furniture - Furniture From World - White Garden Furniture.
Remove White Stains From Furniture
- White Stains is a poetic work written by English author and occultist Aleister Crowley under the pseudonym "George Archibald Bishop". It was published in 1898 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Furniture + 2 is the most recent EP released by American post-hardcore band Fugazi. It was recorded in January and February 2001, the same time that the band was recording their last album, The Argument, and released in October 2001 on 7" and on CD.
- Small accessories or fittings for a particular use or piece of equipment
- Furniture is the mass noun for the movable objects ('mobile' in Latin languages) intended to support various human activities such as seating and sleeping in beds, to hold objects at a convenient height for work using horizontal surfaces above the ground, or to store things.
- Large movable equipment, such as tables and chairs, used to make a house, office, or other space suitable for living or working
- A person's habitual attitude, outlook, and way of thinking
- furnishings that make a room or other area ready for occupancy; "they had too much furniture for the small apartment"; "there was only one piece of furniture in the room"
- remove something concrete, as by lifting, pushing, or taking off, or remove something abstract; "remove a threat"; "remove a wrapper"; "Remove the dirty dishes from the table"; "take the gun from your pocket"; "This machine withdraws heat from the environment"
- A degree of remoteness or separation
- degree of figurative distance or separation; "just one remove from madness" or "it imitates at many removes a Shakespearean tragedy";
- remove from a position or an office
East Village, Manhattan, New York City, New York Dating from 1894-95, the (former) Scheffel Hall is a significant reminder of the German-American community known as Kleindeutschland which flourished on the Lower East Side in the last half of the nineteenth century. One of the few examples of the German Renaissance Revival style in New York, Scheffel Hall's unusual and flamboyant facade, designed by the architectural firm of Weber & Drosser, is modeled after the famous Friedrichsbau at Heidelberg Castle. Originally a renowned German rathskeller and restaurant, and more recently the home of the jazz club, Fat Tuesday's, the building has long been a gathering place for New Yorkers. Its patrons have included a number of leading politicians and writers, notably O. Henry who used Scheffel Hall as the setting for a short story in 1909. The building incorporated the latest in building technologies, including an unglazed terra-cotta facade which is among the earliest surviving examples of terra-cotta cladding in New York. Other notable features include the cast-iron storefront ornamented with intricate strapwork and cartouches, the elaborate window surrounds, and the curved front roof gable. DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS Kleindeutschland and the German Beer Halls From its founding in 1626 by Peter Minuit, a native of the German town of Wesel am Rhein, New York City has had a significant German population. During the 1820s, the first German neighborhood and commercial center developed in the area southeast of City Hall Park and by 1840 there more than 24,000 Germans lived in the city. During the next twenty years, their numbers increased dramatically as "mass transatlantic migration brought another hundred thousand Germans fleeing land shortages, unemployment, famine, and political and religious oppression." To accommodate this growth, a new German neighborhood developed east of the Bowery and north of Division Street which became known as Kleindeutschland, Little Germany, Dutchtown, or Deutschlandle. In the 1870s and 1880s, dislocations caused by the growth of the German Empire brought 70,000 new immigrants to the area while thousands of American-born children of German immigrants established their own homes in the neighborhood. By 1880, the German-speaking population of Kleindeutschland exceeded 250,000, making up approximately one-quarter of the city's population, and the neighborhood's boundaries had expanded north to 18th Street and east to the East River: "The first large immigrant neighborhood in American history that spoke a foreign language, Kleindeutschland remained the major German-American center in the United States for the rest of the century." Most of Kleindeutschland's residents worked in neighborhood factories and shops in what came to be regarded as German trades -- as tailors, bakers, grocers, shoemakers, brewers, cigar makers, piano and furniture makers, and dressmakers. They worshipped in German-speaking churches and synagogues, took part in benevolent and fraternal organizations likethe Harugari, Vereinigte Deutscher Bruder, and B'nai B'rith, and created such institutions as the German-American Bank at 14th Street and Fourth Avenue, and the Germania Life-Insurance Company (later Guardian Life Insurance Company) which was originally located on Nassau Street but later moved to East 17th Street and Park Avenue South (Fourth Avenue). Kleindeutschland's thousands of beer halls, saloons, wine gardens, concert halls, and club rooms offered convivial gathering places and Continental culture to the neighborhood's residents who for the most part lived in crowded tenements. Some of the beer halls and saloons, called Lokals, "had stages where German theater was performed, and many had meeting rooms that were used by singing societies, lodges, clubs, unions, and political organizations." A number were also equipped with billiard rooms, bowling alleys, or ballrooms. The large and elaborately decorated beer halls were "the pride of Kleindeutschland" and their proprietors were among the elite of the German community. Beer halls were places "where whole families went on Sundays to meet with friends, drink beer, listen to music, and dance." Among the most famous were the Atlantic Garden, at 50 Bowery, between Bayard and Canal Streets, and Luchow's on East 14th Street, opposite Steinway Hall (all demolished). Scheffel Hall Carl Goerwitz (1847-1907), the founder of Scheffel Hall, emigrated from Germany to this country in 1873. His first home was on First Avenue near 58th Street in the German community that had begun developing in the 1860s around the Steinway piano factory at Park Avenue and East 52nd Street and several small breweries on East 54th Street. Goerwitz initially found work as a waiter. Around 1878 he established his own restaurant at 193 Pearl Street. In 1879, he opened a beer hall at 144 East 58th Street, adjacent to the S
Edgehill Church of Sputyen Duyvil
United Church of Christ, Riverdale Presbyterian Chapel, Spuyten Duyvil, Riverdale, Bronx, New York City, New York, United States The small, asymmetrically massed church now known as the. Edgehill Church of Spuyten Duyvil (United Church of Christ), is a rare survivor from the period when the Spuyten Duyvil section of the Bronx was a sparcely populated area at the northern edge of New York City. The church was organized in 1869 as a mission chapel affiliated with the Riverdale Presbyterian Church. The chapel served the workers at the nearby Johnson Iron Foundry and its history is closely connected with the family of Isaac G. Johnson. In 1888 Francis B. Kimball, one of New York City's most prominent architects, was commissioned to design a new chapel for the small Spuyten Duyvil congregation. Kimball designed an eclectic 'building that combines a variety of stylistic forms in an unusual manner, creating a picturesque structure that is dramatically expressive of its hilly, rural setting. Until the Spuyten Duyvil section was developed with high-rise apartment buildings following the construction of the Henry Hudson Parkway, it was a rural area composed primarily of large riverside estates and country houses. The one intrusion into the peaceful, rural character of the area was the Johnson Iron Foundry located in the. southern portion of Spuyten Duyvil, on a peninsula that jutted into Spuyten Duyvil Creek. The Johnson Iron Foundry was founded by Eiias Johnson following the 1851 liquidation of the Johnson, Cox & Fuller stove foundry in Troy, Mew York. Eli as Johnson sent his son Isaac Gale Johnson to New York to acquire a site for the foundry. The younger Johnson purchased land in Spuyten Duyvil, then part of Westchester County, because of its location near vital means of transportation and near the large New York City market. The Johnson and Cox families also purchased 170 adjoining acres and laid out a village originally called Fort Independence. The name was soon changed to Spuyten Duyvil since Fort Independence had actually been located farther to the east. The Johnson Iron Foundry and the adjoining Spuyten Duyvil Rolling Mill Co., owned by Elias Johnson and David Cox, were extremely successful particularly during the Crvil War, and by the 1860s they employed about 300 people. Small houses and a school for the workers' children were erected north of the factory. Although the Spuyten Duyvil Rolling Mill Co. closed in 1883, the Johnson foundry remained in operation until 1923 when the peninsula on which the factory was located, was canderaed by the city. The land was destroyed in order to improve navigation between the Harlem and Hudson Rivers. The only remnants of this period of Spuyten Duyvil's history are a few small frame buildings clustered under the Henry Husdon Bridge on Johnson and Edsall Avenues, and the Edgehill Church. When Issac Johnson purchased the land in Spuyten Duyvil for his family's iron foundry, the nearest church was over a mile away. Johnson was a devout Baptist and sought to impart religious teachings to his workers. He started a smallSunday school class in the office of the foundry, and in 1869 he leased land in the area to the Riverdale Presbyterian Church for a chapel. A small wooden chapel structure was erected at this time on Puddler's Lane, located near the junction of present-day Johnson Avenue and Kappock Street. Although the congregation of the Riverdale Presbyterian Chapel was never large (most of the foundry workers were Irish Catholics), it outgrew its original building, and in 1885 members of the Riverdale Presbyterian Church signed a document subscribing money "for the purpose of building a Presbyterian Church at Spuyten Duyvil." The church was to be built on land donated by Mary E. Cox, the wife of one of Johnson's partners. By June, $3,300 had been raised for the construction of the chapel, the cost of which was estimated at $3,500 excluding furnaces and furnishings.^ In January, 1889 "the matter of the old chapel. . was referred to Mr. Isaac Johnson with full power to sell and apply the proceeds towards the expense of the new chapel. The designs for the new chapel were submitted by Francis Kimball in 1888, but construction did not begin until April 1, 1889. The records of the New York City Buildings Department record that work was completed on the church by April 29, 1889, - a very short construction period. Architect Francis Hatch Kimball (1845-1919) was a major figure in the New York City architectural world during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. His work spans a period of great stylistic and technological change in American architecture. Kimball's work evolved with the changing architectural scene, and he designed some of the fineiir and most innovative buildings of the period. Early in his career, Kimball managed the Hartford office of Boston architects Rogers & Bryant. While still in Hartford, he was commission