Clay Dreslough (1970-) Noted game designer and creator of the Baseball Mogul series of products.
Galusha A. Grow (1822–1907) Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives from 1861 to 1863, was born in Ashford.
Elias Keyes, (1758-1844), born in Ashford, United States Congressman from Vermont. 
Thomas Knowlton (1740–1776) in addition to being a daring officer in the American Revolution, headed up Knowlton's Rangers, America's first Army intelligence unit. He grew up in Ashford.
Lieutenant Daniel Knowlton married, first, Elizabeth Farnham; second, Rebecca Fenton. He had ten children, of whom Marvin married Celestia Leonard and had two children- Marvin and Maria B., who married Henry Upton. Marvin Knowlton was a man frequently consulted in business-affairs and one who settled many estates.
Ebenezer Knowlton, a son of Stephen, married Eliza A. Lyon. He was postmaster and a merchant at West Ashford for twenty-five years and died in 1866. He had six children, of whom one, Adaline, married Dwight Shurtliff. They have three children.
The Knowlton family were among the first settlers of Ashford. Robert Knowlton was a manufacturer of salt. One of his descendants, Daniel, married Hannah Knowlton, daughter of one Daniel Knowlton, a soldier of the revolutionary war, and brother of Colonel Knowlton of revolutionary fame. Daniel and Hannah Knowlton had three sons and three daughters. One son, Miner, was a graduate of West Point, a captain in the regular army, and served in the Mexican war. Another, Danford, was a merchant in New York. Edwin, the third son, resided in Ashford, married Mary, daughter of Otis Woodward, and had four children, one of whom, Robert D. W. Knowlton, represented Ashford in the legislature of 1889.
Eliphalet Nott (1773-1866), native of Ashford, was left an orphan without resources, but graduated in 1795 from Brown University. In 1804 he became president of Union College in Schenectady, New York, a post he held till his death 62 years later. From 1829 to 1845 he simultaneously was president of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. He was also the inventor of the first stove for anthracite coal.
John Baker came from Dudley, Mass., to Ashford about 18.25. He bad four children, one of whom, Enoch, married Mary Webster, and had seven children, six of whom are now living. Davis A., the second son, born in Ashford in 1835, was educated at the schools of his native town and the state Normal school. He taught school in early life, but for the last ten years has been engaged in mercantile business. He represented Ashford in the legislature in 1867, 1877, and 1887, has been town clerk and judge of probate several years. He married Eliza Walbridge, and has two sons.
Reuben Barlow, a son of Reuben Barlow, was born in Woodstock, and came to Ashford in 1845. He married Eunice Snow. They have three sons and two daughters. Henry C. and Anson G. are doing business as Barlow Brothers, lumber dealers, at Griggs' Mill.
Charles Chism, born in Ashford, is a son of David Chism. He was a soldier in the 16th Connecticut volunteers. He married Annie L., daughter of Chauncey Whiton, who married Lucinda Moore. He was clerk and treasurer of the church society forty years, and was a descendant of Joseph Whiton, one of the early settlers of Ashford. He had four children, of whom one, Samuel, was a missionary to Africa and to the freedmen.
John A. Chism, born in Ashford, is a son of David and Hannah (Snell) Chism. He enlisted in the 25th Connecticut volunteers. He is now a farmer. He married Martha N. More, daughter of John More, a descendant of Thomas Lawson, one -of the first settlers of Union.
John S. Dean was a native of Ashford and a son of Leonard Dean. He married Hannah M., daughter of Stephen Knowlton. He was a farmer and also engaged in glass manufacture. He held many official positions, represented Ashford in the legislature, the 14th senatorial district in the senate in 1877, and was county commissioner two years. He died in 1879. His son, Charles L. Dean, was associated with him in glass manufacture until 1873. Since 1874 he has been a member of the firm of Dean, Foster & Co., of Boston and Chicago, manufacturers of glassware. Charles Dean represented Ashford in the legislature of 1881, was county commissioner from 1869 to 1875, and was a member of Governor Andrew's staff. He is president of the First National Bank of Stafford.
Willard S. Fuller was born in Woodstock, and came to Ashford in 1842. He is a son of John and Hannah Fuller, and grandson of Elisha Fuller, who was a soldier in the revolutionary war. He is married to Almira Chaffee.
John T. Greene was born in Exeter, R. I., and came to Ashford in 1865. In early life he taught school. He represented Ashford in the legislature of 1871 and is one of the selectmen of the town. He married Lucy E. Davis and has three children: Frank W., Nellie A. and Annie B.
Stephen Fitts, a native of Massachusetts, came to Ashford, married Polly Knowlton, daughter of Colonel Thomas Knowlton, and had three children, Christian, Stephen and Maria. Christian married William Loomis, who was a farmer in Ashford, and had two. children, Chester and Mary A. Chester was a farmer-in Ashford and died in 1874.
Charles Mathewson came to Ashford from Woodstock in 1850 and bought a saw and grist mill at Warrenville, which he operated until 1865, when he was succeeded by the firm of Lombard & Mathewson, manufacturers of fertilizers and wholesale dealers in agricultural implements. Charles Mathewson married Celia Hammond, and had five children, one of whom, John, married Ellen Carpenter and resides in Ashford.
Ira G. Murphy, son of Archibald and Sabra (Gallup) Murphy, came to Windham county, in 1832, and settled permanently in Ashford in 1840. He engaged in trade which he continued till his death in 1856. His son John A. succeeded to his father's business which he still continues. Mr. Murphy was instrumental in establishing a post office in Warrenville in 18772 and was the first postmaster. He represented Ashford in the legislature in 1863, and has been appointed deputy sheriff five times. He married Mary Spaulding, of Pomfret, and they have one son and four daughters.
Michael Richmond, son of Abner Richmond, a soldier in the revolutionary war, was born in Woodstock in November, 1786, and came to Ashford about 1800. In early life he learned saddle making and afterward engaged in the manufacture of cloth, also axes. He was also engaged in staging and turnpike building, and in the mercantile business, until he retired at 60 years of age. He died in 1881. He married Polly Barnes and had seven children, of whom only Mrs. Juliette Child and Mr. Elizur Richmond remain in Ashford.
John C. Smith, a son of Asa and grandson of George Smith, who were farmers in Ashford, commenced business in Westford as a wagon maker and blacksmith about 1833. This business he has continued with his son until the present time. He married Polly Thresher and has two children-Susan and Andrew S., who married Mary Whitaker. They have one son, George D. Smith.
Joseph Smith came from Smithfield, R. I., to Willington, Conn., about 1785. He had seven children, of whom one son, John, a soldier of the revolutionary war, married Mary Covell and had four children. One son, Charles, married Hannah Thresher. He died in 1844, and his widow still lives, in the one hundredth year of her age. They had nine children, of whom Samuel, born in Willington, came to Ashford in 1866. He married, first, Almira Morse; second, Mary Thresher. He has two children-Charles A. and Hattie, who married Clarence Walcott.
Leander Wright was in the mercantile business in New York in early life until 1847, when he came to Ashford to the family homestead, where five generations of the family have resided. He married Sarah Fisk, daughter of William A. Fisk. They have nine children. He died in 1887.
Paul Newman (1925–2008), award winning actor, film director and philanthropist, was a seasonal resident of Ashford since opening the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp in 1988.