Since it's always bugged me that the AutoIT implementation of 'FindFirstFile' and 'FindNextFile' only returned filenames and that extra calls had to be made to get file-size, attributes, short-names, and date/time of file creation,last-access, & last-modification which severely increased the amount of time it took to properly analyze the contents of a folder and it's files, I decided to create an alternative.
This uses the same Windows calls as AutoIT, except it returns all the information that it rightfully should for each file found - including:
Now, the calling process is a little different, though for the most part not much is required to be altered in existing code. Basically, the attributes-check for folders is a numerical test, and when a folder is found, you *need* to test for '.' and '..' navigation (fake) folders. Also, the 'While' loop changes into a 'Do-Until' loop. Additionally, the first _FileFindExFirstFile() call returns a file, whereas FileFindFirstFile() doesn't (which never made sense to me).
To convert times into a readable format, you'll need to pass the array to the _FileFindExTimeConvert() function. Optionally, you can get the _WinTimeFunctions UDF and call those functions using array index constants:
$FFX_CREATION_TIME, $FFX_LAST_ACCESS_TIME, or $FFX_LAST_MODIFIED_TIME.
Note all _FileFindEx* calls are done using a special array, though 'ByRef' for quicker performance.
A nice application I found for this UDF was comparing files/folders - which is pretty easy using 64-bit filetime and file-size comparisons (no need for time conversion there).
The ZIP includes 4 files: the _FileFindEx UDF, FileFindExTest, the license agreement (same as below), and _LinkedOutputDisplay. Please note that _LinkedOutputDisplay on its own is a mess - but its included as-is to help see a side-by-side comparison of the output from FileFindExTest.
To get all the same information that _FileFindEx provides, the AutoIt functions below would need to be called:
Please note that for a fair time comparison, a clean boot is needed for each test due to O/S buffering after a scan. Between boots, the order of function calls in 'FileFindExTest' would need to be swapped. In first-run tests, _FileFindEx has consistently been quicker when gathering more than basic filename info. However, running the UDF in 64-bit mode on Vista+ O/S's results in slower performance, hence this note:
*IMPORTANT* - Speed is severely affected when the script is run in x64 mode. I therefore recommend running/compiling the code in x86 (32-bit) mode.
- 5/24/2011: Further speed optimization when using _FileFindExTimeConvert().
- 5/23/2011: New name, faster execution!
* Removed: _WinTimeFunctions UDF. No longer needed (see below).
* Added: New array element for REPARSE Points that are located ($aFind).
* Added: Internal time-conversion function removes the need for _WinTime* calls. This results in a solid increase in performance.
* SCRIPT-BREAKING CHANGES *: Function-names changed - A simple search&replace should work here.
- 5/9/2010: New version with better 64-bit FileTime support, bundled separate example with output display, and the _WinTimeFunctions required module (+ example use). All code falls under the same License agreement! AutoIT v3.3.6+ required.
- Updated for AutoIT v3.3 support (or 220.127.116.11 UNICODE-only)
Ascend4nt's AutoIT Code License agreement:
While I provide this source code freely, if you do use the code in your projects, all I ask is that: