Makes 8 buns
5 cloves of garlic
150 g minced chicken
100 g shiitake mushrooms
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs sesame oil
200 g bread flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbs olive oil
100 ml lukewarm water
For the filling
1. Saute chopped shiitake mushrooms and garlic with olive oil until they has shrinked and released the nutty scent.
2. Stir in minced chicken and let cook through.
3. Throw in chopped garlic chives.
4. Add soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, salt, and pepper.
5. Let it cool down.
For the buns
1. Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl and stir in lukewarm water mixed with olive oil.
2. After the mixture turns into a dough, knead it by hands, and shape into a ball and let rest for 30 mins or 1 hour.
3. Flatten the leavened dough to push the air out and knead by hands for a couple more times.
4. Shape the dough into a log and cut crosswise into halves and cut the halves into another halves to get 4 equal portions. Then, half each cut and this will result in 8 equal portions.
5. For the finishing knead, pull out the edge of each portion dough and tuck it in repeatedly while shaping into a ball
6. With a rolling pin, roll out each ball into a disc.
For filling and frying
1. Place the disc onto your palm and flatten it once more.
2. Place the filling onto the disc.
3. Pleat the edge and seal them altogether.
4. Twist the edge for final sealing while shaping into a round bun.
5. Heat a bit of oil on a frying pan over medium heat and place the buns. They will puff up, so space them apart.
6. After 1 minute frying the base, quickly, but carefully pour in 1/3 to 1/2 cup of water.
7. Quickly cover the pan with a lid and let the water and steam cook the bun for 7-8 minutes.
8. After the buns have nicely puffed up, open the lid, crank up the heat, and let the water evaporate. Add sesame oil and swirl around to coat the bun base for final frying for another minute.