ONION SOUPMakes about 2 cups or 3-4 individual ramekinsIngredients:
2 onions or approximately 2 cups of sliced onions
3 Tbs olive oil
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
400 ml beef stock
Cheese for toppingMethods:
1. Thinly slice onions and cook them in a saucepan with 3 Tbs of olive oil on low heat.
2. Cover the saucepan and let the onions slowly cook for about 15 mins.
3. Open the cover, raise the heat to moderate, and stir in salt and sugar. Stir it frequently to prevent the onions from burning.
4. Cook them for like 30-40 mins or until the onions have greatly reduced their volumes and have evenly caramelized or turned deep brown.
5. Stir in 1 Tbs of flour to the caramelized onions and let cook for 3 mins.
6. Pour in the beef stock or any stock you want or water, stir to combine, lower the heat, and simmer for 30 mins.
7. Simmer for 30 mins and adjust the seasoning.For serving:
1. Place toasted bread in an oven-proof ramekin.
2. Ladle in the onion soup until 4/5 full.
3. Place another toasted bread on top.
4. Top with your choice of cheese and bake at 210 C for 20 mins http://aboxofkitchen.blogspot.com/2012/02/onion-soup.html